Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Adams

I'm Back

Sorry for being gone so long - life has kept me quite busy the last couple of months. Aside from taking over a restaurant, I''ve been into a couple new book projects. I''m hoping to maintain the forums still and check in every day or two. So, what''s been going on since I''ve been away?

Yay!!!
Your back..sorry i didnt even know you had left.. but i noticed that you werent around..
Well whats been going on? The gamedev Arena beta has started...

I''ll tell you what been going on!! Many of us on here could have used some of your help with .x file animations. I finally got it all working with instancing multiple clones of a single animation controller and all.

Last night I also discovered a bug/quirk with D3D. The CloneAnimationController(stuff) function will not work if you have already setup tracks in the animation controller you are wishing to clone. You''d think that the SDK would mention something like this...

hey, what''s up man. Welcome back, since you seem to know what yer doin and all maybe you can help me out with a question that has to do with dx9 and tile rendering.

Here''s my thread with my problem.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=186886

Guest Anonymous Poster
To recap:

This is what you''re coming back to:

* no one missed you

* you are immediately responsible for others'' problems.

* you are now, surprisingly, black. (How exactly did that happen???)

Now you know why african americans feel put down.

Who in their right mind would come back to this?

*sigh you people are wierd. he just said he misread the thread the first time as "im black", it doesnt mean jim said he was actually black. Who cares anyway.. Jim i comment you on rpg programming book that i just bought and its great. Thanks for your commitment to the programming community as you can see it helps us a lot.

I was accused of taking over a restaurant once. It was one of those "all you can eat" places. I can''t help it - I just love shrimp.

Welcome back, Jim.

quote:

To recap:

This is what you''re coming back to:

* no one missed you

* you are immediately responsible for others'' problems.

* you are now, surprisingly, black. (How exactly did that happen???)

Now you know why african americans feel put down.

Who in their right mind would come back to this?

I missed you too, Kel.

err. never knew you were actually gone, I thought you were just fedup with all these loonies here

anyways, good to know you have more book projects. your books have helped me the most from all (besides the calvin and hobbes books).

So what topics are you covering this time? Can I proof read for you ? no? .... please?.....! I INSIST YOU LET ME PROOF READ FOR YOU

also congratulationson going the way of the jacko. Didnt know it could be done so quickly, har har!

[edit]*cough* spellings *cough*[/edit]

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::

[edited by - ifoobar on October 22, 2003 9:22:05 AM]

Hey Jim good to know your back and willing to help some people.
I got the "RPG book" and its an awsome book but I found a few programming grammer errors, so I would advice who ever proof reads these to really watch out for this stuff, mainly try and program with he book code. Other then that make us even more proud and produce another awsome series of books!

Good luck and will be buying more of your books to help you support your new line of work! Good luck.

Welcome back Jim. I''d like to say a couple of things:
* You should''ve setup someone of the frequent visitors to moderate this forum while you''re away.
* Please please, pretty please, update the FAQ with stuff about:
- "Vsync is enabled by default" in DX9 (i.e. all those "DX9 is slow" posts)
- Lighting (I think namethatnobodyelsetook make a great post summarizing the lighting states and their usage, answering all FAQs about lighting. Maybe you should look for it)
- Dynamic vs static vertex buffers
- Index buffers (what are they, how they''re used, ...etc)
- Draw Indexed Primitive (its parameters. A good description is available at tomsdxfaq.blogspot.com, so you might want to put a link)
- Maybe add some info about X files (because people ask about it a lot)
- Anything else that''s frequently asked (I don''t come here that often).

Muhammad Haggag

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey, I also bought that DirectX RPG book and it''s pretty darn good.

To the one complaining about the "grammer": your spelling isn''t exactly great.

Welcome back!

To the AP: Thats nice to know by that little write up that I did isnt being sold for $60 a pop and offered to a lot of people around the world. I was talking about the coding, it isnt Jims fault it was the person that was proof reading it, they didnt do there job that well. From a n00b point of view looking at the code could confuse him/her to a point where they come here and say this person couldnt even do this or that.

It seemed like they didnt know how to program and just trusted that Jim put in the right code, if thats even how that works. Maybe someone else put in that code, but there are some errors and wanted the next book to be even higher quality. Its in no way a bash on Jim.

I dont proof read what I type, it might be a good idea if they could put that in the new forums maybe, spell check, and grammer and anything else so other people dont bash on other people that dont have perfect writing.

Have a good day.

[edited by - dalik on October 23, 2003 3:44:45 PM]