Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RPGeezus

[java] Java IDE

Just getting my feet wet in Java again (I used to use it back in the 90''s) and have noticed that the IDE''s have changed quite a bit. My question is what is the best IDE to use for game development in Java? I would need at the least a decent debugger (ie: the ability to step through my code line by line). Cheers, Will

Guest Anonymous Poster
Eclipse is very good. Highly recommended. It has all the features of a modern ide, including a nice debugger. It also continually compiles your code in the background, so it will point out compilation errors in your code just like how Word points out misspellings. Sounds simple enough, but I can''t emphasize enough how much time that saves.

Oh, and it''s free.

Lol, the one I havn''t tried yet! Thanks for the tips-- I''m D/Ling Eclipse right now...

I remember when Visual Cafe Studio came out-- I liked it. For some reason everything seems to have gone downhill though.

Thanks for all of the advice,
Will

Eclipse is great. Better than a lot of commercial IDEs, and as has been said - it''s free. Very easy and nice to use, and the MS-Word "spelling mistake" style error highlighting is excellent.

We''ve switched from using JBuilder to Eclipse at work and everyone loves it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
is that true? that Eclipse is nicer than JBuilder??
i use JBuilder right now, and this one is the first Java IDE i work on,
before, i use Textpad and got a lot of trouble to check out the Java API when coding
i have no problem working with JBuilder, except it slow
i''m trying to download eclipse, ups 65 megs?? i give up

At my school we use DrJava. Its ok to start off with but I prefer to code with JCreator, I really like it and at first it was comforting to see the same setup as VC++ which is what I was used to. JCreator can also be downloaded as a free IDE. I strongly recommend checking out jcreator.com

I used JCreator for quite a while, but eventually switched to Eclipse. JCreator is nice and lightweight and does all the basics so its great to start with. The fact that it shares shortcuts with VC++ is handy as well.

However the freeware version doesn''t have a debugger, and the debugger in the pro version is just laughable. The debugger in Eclipse is light years ahead of it. Also Eclipse has a whole bunch of refactoring tools, intergration with Ant and the tasks list is invaluable as well.

Eclipse has my vote too. It''s definitely the best IDE I''ve used to date. I used to use JCreator before this which, as OrangyTang says, is nice and quick and is very similar to Visual C++ 6. But Eclipse just had too many useful features to ignore so I switched. I used to think Visual Studio was great until I started using this.

It''s main disadvantage is that it''s pretty heavy weight in terms of memory usage but this was only ever a problem when I used to run Eclipse and Visual Studio .NET together back when I had 128Mb or RAM.

Also, there''s loads of plug-ins available for it including ones for other languages including C\C++, Python, Perl and PHP. I can''t wait until the CDT reaches the standard of the JDT.

--
"Never Abandon Imagination" - Tony DiTerlizzi

Ok, I''ve tried Eclipse, and after comparing it to other Java IDE''s, in my opinion it''s better than:
JCreator
JBulider
SUN One

Here are my reasons: It''s the only IDE that a) allows me to step through the code AND b) works straight out of the box.

With all of the other IDE''s I''ve run in to problems a) compiling, b) executing, c) debuging.

JCreator had a nice, fast IDE, but the debugger never worked. My apps wouldn''t run in debug mode. I was using the latest final version of everything. There may have been a fix for this but I wasn''t too interested in finding it.

JBuilder wouldn''t build my project all of the time, even if the code was exactly the same code that compiled under JCreator and SUN One.

SunONE complies fine, and has a debugger, BUT the debugger only lets you examine lines that have a break point (ie: no stepping through code). The IDE is also bloated, slow, and tries to force me in to Sun''s vision of what coding should be.

One other thing I should note is that I can develop MIPD apps using Eclipse as well.

Eclipse is nice, was amazingly easy to install, has a decent UI, and a debugger that is comparable in functionality to CodeWarrior and Visual Developer Studio.

Will

How come in eclipse you can't paste from other things(notepad or Cedit), I still like NetBeans better, I dunno about the debugger but I like the GUI editor and such..

[edited by - eedok on October 27, 2003 10:15:23 PM]

Eclipse copies and pastes across apps just fine. I have Eclipse 3.0.0 Build id: 200310101454 on WinXP.

Eclipse is very actively developed. If you''re using a 2.1 build or something like that, then it''s possible it didn''t have that back then.

I think Eclipse and Netbeans are both great, especially since they are free. Of the two, I prefer Eclipse to Netbeans.

The only down side to Eclipse is that it doesn''t have GUI building tools.

there are lots of good plugins for eclipse (for netbeans too btw.)

there should be several gui builders for eclipse around.

[edited by - smokew on October 28, 2003 10:57:55 AM]

quote:
Original post by jeeky
The only down side to Eclipse is that it doesn''t have GUI building tools.

IBM''s version of Eclipse called WebSphere Sutdio Application Developer has quite a nice one but unfortunately it is far from free. But as smokew says, I would expect there to be a few free alternatives available although how developed these would be I don''t know.

--
"Never Abandon Imagination" - Tony DiTerlizzi