• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RPGeezus

[java] Java IDE

This topic is 5353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just getting my feet wet in Java again (I used to use it back in the 90''s) and have noticed that the IDE''s have changed quite a bit. My question is what is the best IDE to use for game development in Java? I would need at the least a decent debugger (ie: the ability to step through my code line by line). Cheers, Will

Advertisement
I''m a little curious too, how eclipse stacks up with jEdit, if anyone knows, or has an opinion?

" ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "

Guest Anonymous Poster
Eclipse is very good. Highly recommended. It has all the features of a modern ide, including a nice debugger. It also continually compiles your code in the background, so it will point out compilation errors in your code just like how Word points out misspellings. Sounds simple enough, but I can''t emphasize enough how much time that saves.

Oh, and it''s free.

Eclipse is the best free one I''ve found.

My Homepage

Some shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911

Lol, the one I havn''t tried yet! Thanks for the tips-- I''m D/Ling Eclipse right now...

I remember when Visual Cafe Studio came out-- I liked it. For some reason everything seems to have gone downhill though.

Thanks for all of the advice,
Will

Eclipse is great. Better than a lot of commercial IDEs, and as has been said - it''s free. Very easy and nice to use, and the MS-Word "spelling mistake" style error highlighting is excellent.

We''ve switched from using JBuilder to Eclipse at work and everyone loves it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I actually think Eclipse is the best IDE available, Java or not, commercial or not.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!