• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intamin AG

A Dumb Q about OLD rendering

This topic is 5452 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I guess I know the answer myself, but how do programs like 3DS MAX render? Do they have their own image generator and not OpenGL?? And how can thay do VP/FP in software when you select OpenGL as driver?? (even when its not on ur card)

Advertisement
For the viewports ( what you do the editing in ), it drawsusing whatever you tell it to ( OpenGL, D3D, or the software driver). The renderer is software although apparently some video cards accelerate it (Generally they start at the cost of $500-1000, they are specifically created for rendering, so don''t expect good performance from games using them) Also, you can change the renderer max uses (I believe Brazil is a popular alternative)

What is VP/FP ? (It''s probably something really obvious that isn''t coming to my mind at the moment...)

*cough* Damn cold. *cleares throat*

Maybe they use an API like Mesa3D (software OGL). I think it supports VP/FP and stuff.

And of course D3D has it's own software renderer.

[ My Site ]
'I wish life was not so short,' he thought. 'Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.' - J.R.R Tolkien
Founding member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig) (Welcome back to JesperT)
/*ilici*/

[edited by - Ilici on October 22, 2003 2:05:11 PM]

And how about Unreal? Does it use projected texture maps for dynamic lighting?? It was made before VP/FP and it uses per-pixel lighing (or likewise)

I think Unreal uses lightmaps.
And per-pixel lighting can be done with bump-maps/env mapping/other bumpmapping methods.

[ My Site ]
''I wish life was not so short,'' he thought. ''Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'' - J.R.R Tolkien
Founding member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig) (Welcome back to JesperT)
/*ilici*/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!