directplay for MM

Started by
5 comments, last by PaulCesar 20 years, 6 months ago
Hello Everyone, Doing some recent studies for an up-coming game of mine, I have a simple question that I hope some of you may be able to answer. Is the DirectPlay8 (in DX8 and DX9) good enough to run a Massivly Multiplayer game (Client/Server mode) with respectable rates (considering that the game has been well designed). I know that DirectPlay7 was not usualy considered in most cases for numberous reasons, but did the DirectPlay8 rewrite change things? -Richard Cesar Omerae Interactive
Advertisement
Double post

[edited by - paulcesar on October 21, 2003 5:18:04 PM]
(bump)
(bump)
Short answer, no it is not good enough.

You really want to use an API that allows MMO games, such as ReplicaNet or Quazal.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Short answer, no it is not good enough.

As of DX7, this was true. From DX8+, it is indeterminant. MS claims DPlay can support MMOG numbers, but I don''t know that it''s really been put to the test.

quote:
You really want to use an API that allows MMO games, such as ReplicaNet or Quazal.

Or you can skip all that crap and go right to the source, WinSock. For MMOG numbers (1000''s of connections), you''d need IOCP, which is a bit of a bear to program. However, I''d submit that if you can''t figure out how to program an IOCP Winsock server, you have no hope of programming an actual MM game anyway. So programming an IOCP server is a good way to test your mettle. If you can figure out how to program an IOCP server, you have some chance of programming a MMOG. If not, you weren''t going to be able to do it anyway, and at least you haven''t wasted three years finding that out

Creation is an act of sheer will
There is so much work on the backend for MMO games, that programming a server is just the tip of the iceberg. Data persistance, session management, resource allocation, and add on that you have to build a compelling game which people want to play.

So pick your battles, if you can, use a prexisting networking solution like RakNet or the others as suggested.

I like how RakNet is laid out, a clean and modern approach.

Good Luck!

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement