Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zacharya

DirectX SDK

quote:
Original post by zacharya
even if I publish it commercially?

I''m aking this question coz there''s a person told me that you have to pay if you publish your game (using dx) for making money

That person was incorrect.

Guest Anonymous Poster
My company has released several products using the DirectX API and I can tell you that we did not have to pay Microsoft anything to do this. I can tell you that you do not need to pay Microsoft to have your program use DirectX (3D, input, sound, DirectPlay, etc.).

quote:
Original post by zacharya
the problem this person I told you is pissin' me off

he's an OpenGL supporter and told me not to use directx

you think he's going to stop after you waste valuable time in proving it? He's just going to start harping on the fact that DirectX isn't cross platform. Just don't listen to him and laugh when he tries to use OpenGL for input and sound.

Not that there's anything wrong with OGL, I think it's great but there are some really petty people out there who do stupid things just because they don't like Microsoft.

[edited by - tempuself on October 23, 2003 1:42:00 PM]

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
So you only have to put:
"DirectX is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries."

..somewhere?

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

You don''t really even need to do that.

If you display "DirectX" on your box (say for the system requirements), then you need to put any relevent (R) symbol on there, but that''s all AFAIK. The manual can say something along the lines of "all other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners".

At the end of the day though, as has already been mentioned, DirectX doesn''t require any special licensing or cost. The 6 or so commercially released products/software that used DirectX that I''ve worked on never required any special licensing or payments.

About the only thing that might cost you is licensing fees for fonts and audio/video codecs - but OpenGL/AL etc has exactly the same - that has nowt to do with the API.

--
Simon O''Connor
3D Game Programmer &
Microsoft DirectX MVP

Yes, it''s ok. But as Simon said, you then need to say that the directx logo is a trademark, blah, blah... It''s different with the windows logo because it in most cases means ''designed for Microsoft Windows'', which usually refers to ''plug ''n'' play''(or for example with winxp the support for multi-user environment, etc.). To conclude, there are absolutely no royalties to pay to MS when using DX. It would be different if developing for XBox, but that''s a different story... It is in Microsoft''s interest that you use DX...
And as for your friend... don''t bother fighting about that. Find out as much as you can about both APIs, and then decide which one you want to use(or use both), and getting into holy wars DXvsOGL is ridiculous...

phew, a too long post

-----------------------------------------------------
It''''s better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven
-----------------------------------------------------

quote:
Original post by zarthrag
Is it ok to use the DirectX logo in the program? On the box? I know the Windows Logo program is pretty streneous.

Using the logo rather than just the name is a slightly more tricky situation. AFAIK you''re not allowed to use that without proper permission from the MS legal people.

The reasons (AFAIK) are mainly to do with a logo on your box looking like some sort of official approval/recommendation from MS. A DirectX "logo programme" along the same lines as the designed for Windows was being discussed in 2000, but I''m not sure what happened to it.

Personally I don''t see why you''d need to use the logo anyway, the space the graphic designer usually dedicates to the "system requirements" boxout is usually tiny anyway so the text form of "CPU speed, Windows (R), blah, DirectX (R) 8.0 compatible sound card, DirectX (R) 8.0 compatible video card... blah" fills that space easily.

If you really do need to use the actual logo email the DirectX team: directx@microsoft.com

--
Simon O''Connor
3D Game Programmer &
Microsoft DirectX MVP