Making 'groups' of voices.

Started by
7 comments, last by SA-Magic 20 years, 5 months ago
Groups is the best word I could think to describe it ... How can you edit a sound to make it sound like a great many people saying it? e.g. An army shouting a warcry. It would sound lame if it''s just my voice echoed or mixed over a few times... I think. Hmm?
Advertisement
Unless you want something which sounds a bit "BBC radiophonic workshop", then your best bet is to record a large group of people. They did this for the orc armies in the Two Towers film by recording a stadium crowd at half-time.

You can''t work with just one voice; you''re going to need a small group of friends at the very least.
You can use a precalculate or realtime chorus effect to achieve this.
This is just a small thing anyway, so I''m not -too- bothered about doing it. Thanks for the stadium suggestion though- Ken, maybe I could find some out there.
(BTW, this is for a load of Naga in WarCraft - thanks to your help with that Murloc sorceror, I was help to do effects for them really well. Thanks again!)

quote:Original post by chab

How exactly?
quote:Original post by chab

It would still be better if he had a group of people before hand. He couldn''t achieve the effect quite as good with chorus as he could with a crowd. The acoustics alone would be hard to mimic, and you would still have to find a way to make it sound like a thousand voices without losing too much of the sound from the chorus effect.
while as Kenbar said is the best way to go, it might not always be easy to acquire large crowd sounds, as most gatherings of large people (concerts, ball games, etc) dont allow you to bring recording devices. If you cant figure out a way to acquire this sound live,I''ll tell you the next best thing:

Take the phrase or words into a track.. duplicate this track vertically, so that you have, say 10-15 tracks with this voice on the same spot. Now go down the list, adding slight reverb/chorus effect as Chab mentioned, varying it a bit for each track. Then use a pitch/time effect, lowering and raising the pitches slightly for each track, and maybe offsetting the time for a few by 5%. The end result should give you a large group of people yelling the warcry as you''re looking to do.

Good luck!
i have a vst effect ''choral'' which is a standard chorus with 2 extra modulators summed to the chorus amount and rate, producing more ''randomised'' time and pitch variation. my homepage is down until the end of the month due to traffic but the actual plugin file ''choral.zip'' is hosted at www.dancetech.com - god knows if you can find it.

anyway, any chorus is still only going to give you an ''army of clones.'' get a friend or more to help with overdubs.
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net
I had to use a google search for dancetech.com choral to find it:

http://www.dancetech.com/FILE-Library/PLUGIN/choral.zip

I'll try it out now. Thanks to you and everyone else.

Edit: Uh.... :D
I need 'SynthEdit' to use it it? I'll go look for that...

Edit 2: ok, got it and put in the plugin. How do I even open my sound (wav) in SE and apply the choral effect?

[edited by - SA-Magic on October 26, 2003 11:19:07 AM]
vst is just a plugin format.. should work for most sequencers and audio editors.

you can do this in synthedit.. put the .dll in se''s ''vstplugins'' folder, and use insert>modules to insert the plugin, a wave player and an audio out module and wire ''em up. erm and a wav recorder module might want to add a button (slider, select ''button'' from properties) to retrigger the gate on the wave player.

make sure you check the properties on the modules so ie. your wav recorder isn''t set to the default max. 4 secs recording time.
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement