Linux Deamon

Started by
7 comments, last by neo88 20 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone here know how to write a Linux Deamon? I want to write a deamon that ( obviosly ) runs in the background while my main programs are running. What I want the deamon to do ( geuss I should tell you, huh? ) is mask my ip address. Does anyone here know of some good articles to help my out? Websites? Thanks so much neo88
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88
Advertisement
I''m not quite sure what you mean by "mask my ip address", but it sounds like iptables could take care of the job for you. Just do a ''man iptables'' and look for the sections on MASQUERADE, SNAT, and DNAT.
---Ranok---
First, as Ranok pointed out, It is not clear what you want to do by "Mask my ip address". But since the question you ask is about daemon under Linux, I''ll try to give you some pointers on that.

First, you must realize that daemons are just regular programs that runs in the background, usually waiting for something to happen in order to do their job.

You''ll want to have your applications and daemons talking together at some point, and this is where you should investigate more. For that, you should check sockets, streams and other Inter Process Communication (IPC) technics.

Now, are you sure you need to split your program into a daemon and and apps ? If you only require your application to do more than one thing at the same time, you should look into using the "fork" keyword.

If you know how to write a program and make it run in the background, you should really be investigating IPCs. Google could help you, I have read a book called "Networking applications on UNIX system V Release 4". Not targetted at Linux and covering more than you require for what you need, but still got some good infos on that subject.

Hopes that helps at least a little.
You can setup your own daemon without too much trouble (it''s just a program). Go here. The slides for week 5 are about daemons and there are instructions on how to install a daemon in the slides. You asked how to write a daemon, and if you know how to program, that should give you enough to be able to write some program and install it as a daemon. As for what you want the daemon to do, you''re on your own, as I have no clue how to write code for that.
This is were the strangeness of my situation comes in. I cannot use iptables because Linux isn''t hooked up to the internet. What I want to have happen is: I want a program that runs as a deamon when I start my computer up, it needs to be able to mask my ip address ( ex. say my address is 34.896.201 and I want it to mask it to 506.890.78.234 as soon as I boot my CPU ) This deamon needs to be able to run under Linux and Windows 95, so I need some sort of universal deamon. And if I boot to Linux and switch to Windows I want the deamon to still run and vice versa.
Hope this helps you help me

neo88
My Kung Fu is stronger.May the Source be with you.neo88
quote:Original post by neo88
This deamon needs to be able to run under Linux and Windows 95, so I need some sort of universal deamon. And if I boot to Linux and switch to Windows I want the deamon to still run and vice versa.
Hope this helps you help me

neo88

Yes: Not possible.
You seem to lack an understanding of what an IP address it, or more specifically, how a computer gets an IP address.
Chapter 13 of "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by the late W. Richard Stevens explains the process of daemonizing a process and discusses the intracacies of a daemon process.

Regards,Drew Vogel
Hum, wouldn''t something like the OP is trying to do (have to) be acomplished by a router or the like? (or switch? I don''t understand switches though so just a blind guess)

I don''t really know all that much about network stuff though so I may be smoking something. (the 560 emails currently dling perhaps.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement