Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoreSuckYa

Levelformat

Hello, i was just trying to get through the tutors again. Apparently i stopped at the leveltutorial. Im not satisfied with the information i could find online. So here some of my criterias. Maybe you could guide me in the right direction wich to choose. 1. If possible i dont want to create a leveleditor on my own. So it would be useful to have a already defined format with a working leveleditor. 2. I want to support big maps. So i guess they have to be sectorbased and to be loaded on demand. Think of it in the range of gta3 for example. And much likely will be a citybased set. I tried to look at .bsp tutors cauze i found some tutors how to implement them in c++/opengl. But many rumors being unable to handle "outdoor" areas reached me. So am i stuck inventing my own system or is there something i could work with. My Mainproblem is that i really like to use a leveleditor for my work and it would be nice to skip the time creating one.

>I tried to look at .bsp tutors cauze i found some tutors how to implement them in c++/opengl. But many rumors being unable to handle "outdoor" areas reached me.

It depends on how much detail you want.

In HalfLife (which uses bsp) the outside scenes were done with a giant hollowed cube with pictures of mountains in the distance painted on the sides to give the illusion of outside.

Outside is difficult to do in general, but, thats how you accomplish the atmosphere.

UNLESS you code some skybox object by yourself. Some people use domes, which look much better but are weirder to make and texture.

>1. If possible i dont want to create a leveleditor on my own. So it would be useful to have a already defined format with a working leveleditor.

If you feel more confident about BSP now, I recommend Cartography Shop from http://www.darkbasic.com. It is not free, but it has a killer light renderer and is VERY easy to use. It also supports plugins.

>2. I want to support big maps. So i guess they have to be sectorbased and to be loaded on demand. Think of it in the range of gta3 for example. And much likely will be a citybased set.

Hm, I'm not sure if OpenGL supports visibility culling or not but if it does or you find a way to macgyver one then use that. You can either use the culling which involves only drawing objects viewable by the camera or you can split your level.

You'll have to write the code to decide if youre close enough to draw a city block though, but you could probably do it pretty easy using the draw lists to hold 1/4th of the map. Of course you would want different split sizes for bigger maps.

I hope that was helpful, those rumors probably come from people who never thought about the hollowed cube trick.

EDIT: or you could ask somebody to make a level ed for you. i'd offer but my gui skills suck.

---

Compiler error; line 14:
blackstone.evil = false;

Does this mean I AM evil?

[edited by - BlackStone on October 26, 2003 1:22:00 AM]