Singing in Games

Started by
16 comments, last by DarkMage139 23 years, 9 months ago
Personally, I like singing in games if its only in a few songs, and isn''t in english. I find that when a song is in a language I understand, that it really ruins it because I''m too distracted by trying to hear what the singer(s) is(are) saying, and the lyrics are usually so awful that I just want to turn the volume all the way down. However, when it is in another language, be it latin, japanese, swedish, some other language, or just something generic, like chanting, I can simply enjoy the game and the sound of the human voice. I think the only way I''d really like singing w/ english lyrics is if the game had some sort of musical sequence, or if it was during a part without a lot of other dialogue. Again, though, if the lyrics were terrible, it''d ruin it all.

Also, I don''t really see songs w/ voices "working" with action/sports/fighting/sim/etc games. Its probably possible, but I just see (hear?) them lending themselves to adventure/rpg style games more, especially console-style RPGs (which are more "adventure" than "RPG", but thats a post for another day), even though that might just be because thats the only place I''ve heard them.
Advertisement
It seems that the general consensus is that singing is okay when not in a language that the player understands.

Wouldn''t this make it just another instrument rather than lyrics. You like the melody and the tone of the voice(s). I don''t want to get accused saying that the voice isn''t a true instrument, because I whole heartedly feel that it is .

The only game i''ve played with lyrics and really works is "Skull Monkeys" I would love to find the soundtrack to that game. Even there alot of the voices were singing giberish.

Prairie
Sega has written some INCREDIBLE songs for their games. Check out the song on Knights and Clockwork Knight for Saturn. Also, Lunar: The Silver Star for Sega CD had some wonderful music with vocals.
The LucasArts game Full Throttle has some music with english lyrics that isn''t too imposing. It actually helps set the mood. It is sort of a hillbilly/hick song that is played during a part in the game where you are pretty much dealing with a hick, so it fits

Other than that, though, I agree that singing is best in games when it is either a chant or a language I don''t understand. Then, it becomes just another instrument (as said before) and can sound quite nice. A couple games that I can think of where this worked: Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (lots of opera), FF8 (queen theme).
Streets of SimCity had some singing.

*ahem*

quote:
You''re bizzare,
cause you bought that
kick-arse car!

They were singing that while I was doing some heavy fragging.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"
- DarkMage139
I agree with the others, _unless_ the game is a musical.

Singing in movies is rarely seen (apart from during the credits) unless the movie is a musical - i.e., the whole point is the singing.

I don''t see why that couldn''t work in a video game. The songs would be part of your "reward" for getting to certain parts of the game. But in that instance, they''d have to be completely foregrounded. I mean, I would have the characters break action and _perform_ the songs. It could be pretty fun.

So maybe it best to say that you''d better be sure if the song is to get full attention, or is definitely the BACKground. I don''t think there''s a middle ground here.

- gollumgollum
let me be the singer please, let me be the one

btw, I''m a good singer and got A+ in my music class... you don''t believe me?

..-=ViKtOr=-..
Well, when I think about it, singing would blend in with my game... hmm...

Gladiator: U're too late. I already have singers in mind.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things,
things you never knew,
change your world if
you only knew.

I can do miracles
if you want me to.
Anything is possible,
I'll prove it to you.

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 14, 2000 11:50:55 AM
- DarkMage139