Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kertap

Freedom in an MMORPG

I haven''t played Everquest or Ultima online so I don''t really know that much about them. What are the limit''s to what a player can do? If they wants to become a blacksmith who makes awesome magical weapons can he? What if they want to become a travelling merchant selling awesome magical weapons? Also what''s the main attraction with mmorpg''s. Is it the community? Being better than everyone else?

The limit of what a player can do in any MMOG is based upon the engine and mechanics. In other words, it''s way too much to describe here, play the games if you really want to know.

The draws for MMOGs are different for each and every player. The sense of discovery, achievement, socialization, senseless violence... it''s as varied as the different play styles that are supported... actually it''s MORE varied than the play styles that are supported usually.

The only thing that I can say to you though is to play one (or more) of them. Don''t look at it as an educational experience either, play it as a game, empty your brain and try figuring out what you want to do with the game. You can always set aside time after you''ve played for a week or two to evaluate what you want to get out of the game and where the draws are in game. If you go into it thinking about why people play the games, then you''ll never get it right anyway.

you gave the reason that you''d want to play this type of game in your post "awesome magical weapons" you said it twice.. personally I like Ultima Online for the simple fact that you didn''t really have to do anything you can do what you feel like that day...

Also people got to know you so over time you could walk along and just chat with players and learn things about them.. thats what I got out of it..

But like was said above each player in the game liked something completely different then the next and thats the idea of the game, let the player play as he/she wants and then you don''t always have everyone trying to do the exact same thing

Please visit Turt99 Productions

quote:
Original post by Kertap
If they wants to become a blacksmith who makes awesome magical weapons can he?

Yep.

quote:

What if they want to become a travelling merchant selling awesome magical weapons?

Yep.

quote:

Also what''s the main attraction with mmorpg''s. Is it the community? Being better than everyone else?

The escape of it. Being in a world full of player characters adds immersion and realism.