Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enfekted

Bouncy Ball Challenge Demo

Finally, my game is almost complete. I''ve got about 12 short levels packed into a demo along with some of the game music. Anyone who has a spare 5 minutes I ask that you please try it out and let me know what you think. You can download it here. http://www.92hicks.com/Game/BBC Demo Install.exe (7.52 MB) Thanks for your input!!!

A 7.5mb installer.. which unpacks and installs into a directory with a total size of under 2mb? Wtf?

Also, it crashes when it cannot find Sounds/click.wav (which doesn''t exist, click.wav is in the base install dir) then give numerous memory exceptions before crashing.

Manually fixing your sounds filepath causes it to crash instead on finding a file in /data at which point I lost interest. I think you''d better fix that shoddy installer..

Guest Anonymous Poster
You server is only feeding out at 7KB/sec, get a faster host for a file that big. And you never explained why you need a 7MB installer for 2MB worth of data. Just put it in a zip file!

Thanks OrangyTang for the reply.

The installer should be all fixed. If there's any other problems let me know.

AP: Its actually about 89MB of data in an 7.52MB Install File. The directories were being installed into the wrong locations, but that is all taken care of.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 6:00:11 PM]

quote:
Original post by Enfekted
AP: Its actually about 89MB of data in an 7.52MB Install File. The directories were being installed into the wrong locations, but that is all taken care of.

So where in the heck have you just dumped ~90mb of file on my HD? Going by the success of the installer I''m not expecting the uninstaller to do its job either.

To anyone that was getting the "Missing Sounds/boom.wav", that problem is now fixed. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks jpardon for finding that problem.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 6:33:44 PM]

Don''t worry. The installer worked fine. It was just a setting problem. The uninstaller will remove all files it installed. The extra data (if it wasn''t already uninstalled) is in "ProgramFiles/BouncyBallChallenge/Data" if you want to check to make sure its gone.

Well:

+ worked well
+ nice ball physics
+ very polished

- annoying installer (whats wrong with a simple .zip?
- huge install (all that file space, the game doesn''t look like its even using a fraction of it)
- too much waiting on load up and with level intro text.

Overall pretty good, but i can''t help but think you should only need ~10mb max for this game

Thanks OrangyTang for the input. I'll decrease the time at the beginning of the level.

The reason why the 80MB size is because there are about 5 textures that are used that are 2048X2048 32bit Bitmaps that are used for the three Varmint animations (the weird looking creatures), the game object animations (cannon, ball, etc.), and the menu items.

I should find a way to use another image format to decrease file size, but I got a little lazy. Bitmaps are the only file format that I know of able to use an Alpha Channel as well as easily load into a DirectX Texture using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile().

The reason for the installer is because there are 3 fonts that are installed and it is a little more user friendly to install them with an installer rather than leaving instructions in a zip file. Plus, I think it looks a little more professional to have an installer.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 10:56:23 PM]

You could use .dds textures, and use DXT5 texture format. This is supported on all modern cards, and takes 8 bits per pixel instead of 32 bits. It''s a really simple format to read on your own, too -- although I''m pretty sure DirectX can load it just fine.

NVIDIA have tools on their developer site to save compressed .dds files out from Photoshop (with MIP maps too, if you want).

This game is sweet.

Here''s my thoughts:

The physics are superb!!!

The graphics are not so good, although they are functional, that said my main problem with the graphics is that the goal is the most vague thing on screen. It should probably be the most obvious. Big comedy red arrow type thing needed here

The level names at the begining should dissappear when you press the mouse button. They are infuriating!!!

The level should reset when you press escape so you dont have to sit around waiting for the ball to stop, knowing full well you havn''t beaten the level.

That said, I think it''s really very very nice.

jpardon:
The level resets when you press the right mouse button as well as when the ball comes to a complete stop. I should probably make a GUI button to also reset the level in order to make it more user friendly.

And your right, I''m not too happy with the graphics myself. The ball, cannon, and Varmints (there''s one in the "Patience" level) look good, but the brick blocks, ramps, and coins look sub-par. That''s another thing I''ve got to work on.

hplus:
I tried .dds breifly, but the files when converted came out to be the exact same size. It may be because I was using the DirectX Texture Tool to convert it rather than using a photoshop plugin. I''ll have to look more into it.

Thanks for the response.
Anyone else who''s got any input I''d be happy to hear it.

Released New Version
You can download it here.
http://www.92hicks.com/Game/BBC Demo Install.exe
(4.5 MB)

New version includes:
- Reset Button (can also right click to reset)
- Can start playing while level title is visible
- Compressed Images to decrease size (thanks for the idea hplus. The .dds format works great!)

Still to do:
- Enable Full Screen
- Touch up on Brick, Ramp, Cup, and Coin graphics
- Create about 100 more levels

If anyone can think of anything else I should do please let me know. I'd also like to know what you think of the sound and music if anyone has any opinion of them. I'm open to both positive and negative feedback.

Thanks again for the input.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 24, 2003 3:54:32 PM]