Bouncy Ball Challenge Demo

Started by
13 comments, last by Enfekted 20 years, 6 months ago
You could use .dds textures, and use DXT5 texture format. This is supported on all modern cards, and takes 8 bits per pixel instead of 32 bits. It''s a really simple format to read on your own, too -- although I''m pretty sure DirectX can load it just fine.

NVIDIA have tools on their developer site to save compressed .dds files out from Photoshop (with MIP maps too, if you want).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
This game is sweet.

Here''s my thoughts:

The physics are superb!!!

The graphics are not so good, although they are functional, that said my main problem with the graphics is that the goal is the most vague thing on screen. It should probably be the most obvious. Big comedy red arrow type thing needed here

The level names at the begining should dissappear when you press the mouse button. They are infuriating!!!

The level should reset when you press escape so you dont have to sit around waiting for the ball to stop, knowing full well you havn''t beaten the level.

That said, I think it''s really very very nice.

www.JeremyPardon.com
jpardon:
The level resets when you press the right mouse button as well as when the ball comes to a complete stop. I should probably make a GUI button to also reset the level in order to make it more user friendly.

And your right, I''m not too happy with the graphics myself. The ball, cannon, and Varmints (there''s one in the "Patience" level) look good, but the brick blocks, ramps, and coins look sub-par. That''s another thing I''ve got to work on.

hplus:
I tried .dds breifly, but the files when converted came out to be the exact same size. It may be because I was using the DirectX Texture Tool to convert it rather than using a photoshop plugin. I''ll have to look more into it.

Thanks for the response.
Anyone else who''s got any input I''d be happy to hear it.
Released New Version
You can download it here.
http://www.92hicks.com/Game/BBC Demo Install.exe
(4.5 MB)

New version includes:
- Reset Button (can also right click to reset)
- Can start playing while level title is visible
- Compressed Images to decrease size (thanks for the idea hplus. The .dds format works great!)

Still to do:
- Enable Full Screen
- Touch up on Brick, Ramp, Cup, and Coin graphics
- Create about 100 more levels

If anyone can think of anything else I should do please let me know. I'd also like to know what you think of the sound and music if anyone has any opinion of them. I'm open to both positive and negative feedback.

Thanks again for the input.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 24, 2003 3:54:32 PM]
The one thing I would say is that it would be nice if there were an indicator when the canon is ready to fire again. I kind of expected it to flash or something.

Other than that I loved it!, very well done!.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement