Bouncy Ball Challenge Demo

Started by
13 comments, last by Enfekted 20 years, 6 months ago
Finally, my game is almost complete. I''ve got about 12 short levels packed into a demo along with some of the game music. Anyone who has a spare 5 minutes I ask that you please try it out and let me know what you think. You can download it here. http://www.92hicks.com/Game/BBC Demo Install.exe (7.52 MB) Thanks for your input!!!
Advertisement
A 7.5mb installer.. which unpacks and installs into a directory with a total size of under 2mb? Wtf?

Also, it crashes when it cannot find Sounds/click.wav (which doesn''t exist, click.wav is in the base install dir) then give numerous memory exceptions before crashing.

Manually fixing your sounds filepath causes it to crash instead on finding a file in /data at which point I lost interest. I think you''d better fix that shoddy installer..
You server is only feeding out at 7KB/sec, get a faster host for a file that big. And you never explained why you need a 7MB installer for 2MB worth of data. Just put it in a zip file!
Thanks OrangyTang for the reply.

The installer should be all fixed. If there's any other problems let me know.

AP: Its actually about 89MB of data in an 7.52MB Install File. The directories were being installed into the wrong locations, but that is all taken care of.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 6:00:11 PM]
You really should test it first!!! Crash''s still, can''t find boom.wav!

Just as an aside, why not add some error checking and just not play the sound if it''s not available?
www.JeremyPardon.com
quote:Original post by Enfekted
AP: Its actually about 89MB of data in an 7.52MB Install File. The directories were being installed into the wrong locations, but that is all taken care of.

So where in the heck have you just dumped ~90mb of file on my HD? Going by the success of the installer I''m not expecting the uninstaller to do its job either.
To anyone that was getting the "Missing Sounds/boom.wav", that problem is now fixed. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks jpardon for finding that problem.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 6:33:44 PM]
Don''t worry. The installer worked fine. It was just a setting problem. The uninstaller will remove all files it installed. The extra data (if it wasn''t already uninstalled) is in "ProgramFiles/BouncyBallChallenge/Data" if you want to check to make sure its gone.
Well:

+ worked well
+ nice ball physics
+ very polished

- annoying installer (whats wrong with a simple .zip?
- huge install (all that file space, the game doesn''t look like its even using a fraction of it)
- too much waiting on load up and with level intro text.

Overall pretty good, but i can''t help but think you should only need ~10mb max for this game
Thanks OrangyTang for the input. I'll decrease the time at the beginning of the level.

The reason why the 80MB size is because there are about 5 textures that are used that are 2048X2048 32bit Bitmaps that are used for the three Varmint animations (the weird looking creatures), the game object animations (cannon, ball, etc.), and the menu items.

I should find a way to use another image format to decrease file size, but I got a little lazy. Bitmaps are the only file format that I know of able to use an Alpha Channel as well as easily load into a DirectX Texture using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile().

The reason for the installer is because there are 3 fonts that are installed and it is a little more user friendly to install them with an installer rather than leaving instructions in a zip file. Plus, I think it looks a little more professional to have an installer.

[edited by - Enfekted on October 22, 2003 10:56:23 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement