Ethical dilemma with portfolio showcase

Started by
11 comments, last by pan narrans 20 years, 5 months ago
I''m applying to a local Games Developer and seeing as I learnt how to use Macromedia Director at university I was using a trial version to produce a portfolio showcase to send with my CV. However, the demo explicitly states that you cannot distribute the results of the trial version (as does the intro screen included in anything you produce with it). So, as the full version costs around £1000 at Amazon and I don''t want to give the impression that I''m a software pirate to my potential employers, it looks like Director is out. What else could I use to make an interactive portfolio presentation? All I can think of is to make a website and stick it on the CD. pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Advertisement
Your not distributing it. Showing it to a few select people is not putting it up for sale or public comsumption. Im sure all such software which comes with educational lisence have the non-distrubition clause, but students im sure can still show their work. But thats just my take.

-ddn
I''ve certainly seen plenty of ''educational versions'' of software (for example, Maya) which deliberately mark your project in some way (a watermark or intro screen) but say that it should still allow you to put it in a showcase or something like that.

I''d say it''s fine. If they question it, tell them what you''ve told us.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
OpenGL is a language

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well, I finished uni last year and this trial of Director is installed on my machine, so it is not under an "educational license". I would be using it directly for my own benefit.

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Buy two copies after you get the job, so you can sleep at night.
Its a tricky issue, you might just want to fire off an emial to Macromedia and see what they say. Your free to make copies for yourself it saids but not distrubite it for commerical purposes. Which might include a protfolio. Im sure you can post screen shots ofcoruse.

-ddn
Agree with AP. Send an email and explain your situation. If it bothers you that much. Just buy A copy once you get the job!

[edited by - brownbean on October 22, 2003 8:03:53 PM]
quote:Original post by BrownBean
If it bothers you that much.
[edited by - brownbean on October 22, 2003 8:03:53 PM]

I''m more worried that it will bother my potential employers Especially as the showcase starts with a screen that says in big bold letters: NOT INTENDED FOR COMMERCIAL USE OR DISTRIBUTION

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Applying for a job is not commercial use. You're not directly making money out of what you used the software for.

[edited by - pkelly83 on October 23, 2003 5:27:08 AM]
Have you browsed Macromedia''s website? I''m sure they have detailed license information there. If not, contact them and explain your situation. If they won''t let you use it, I like the screenshot idea.

Finally, have you tried buying a copy at Ebay? I got Borland CPP Builder Professional there at a significant discount. Fully licensed, fully legal, still shrinkwrapped. Software stores overstock and sell things at bargain prices on Ebay all the time.

Ebay Director Search

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement