Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zer0wolf

difference between quit and exit

I''m not super knowledgable on C/C++ (obviously) and there is one thing I''m not very sure on. I tried googling for a few minutes and didn''t get any help. What exactly is the difference between the usages of the exit() command and quit() command? --------------------------------------------------- laziness is the foundation of efficiency retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | gamedev.net | google

Guest Anonymous Poster
And, you should probably not be using exit(). There are uses for it, but it is not an "elegant" way to terminate your program.

Guest Anonymous Poster

bool global_app_running = false;

void my_exit()
{
global_app_running = false;
}

int main(int, char**)
{
global_app_running = true;
while(global_app_running)
{
// do stuff
if(AVARIABLE == ANOTHERVARIABLE)
my_exit();
}
return 0;
}

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should design your program to have one entry point and one exit point. This is usually in main. So, if we make a hypothetical game:

int main()
{
bool gameRunning = true;
do
{
processInput();
update();
render();
gameRunning = checkExitCondition();
}while(gameRunning);

return 0;
}

The program starts and ends in one place, main. Obviously this is an oversimplified case, but you can see how it makes the code easy to follow. Also, you don''t have to worry that there is another place that the program can abruptly end and you have a chance to close files, clean up memory etc. That is why you use levels of abstraction in your program design.

The main reason I''m asking because I''ve trying using the tuts on the libsdl page and the VS compiler is bitching at me about the exit() command in it.

---------------------------------------------------
laziness is the foundation of efficiency
retrospiral.net | llamas! | megatokyo | gamedev.net | google

Guest Anonymous Poster
I didn''t say there was anything wrong with exit(), just don''t go nuts with it. There are times when you want to use it. I''m just saying look at your problem differently and you may find a better solution.

using exit is perfectly acceptable as long as you make sure to clean up any memory used by the program beforehand. I think what AP was sud. was that you make a global destructor of sorts, which is a good idea, but in not all cases plausable.

RICHARD

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok, Paul, why is what I said "sud"? I did not say "never ever ever use exit, it is teh evul1!!1". I said there are times when you should use it but to reconsider your program design first. Most of the time you don''t need it at all.