• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPoopypants

Formulating a perfect square algorithm

This topic is 5355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

public class FunLoops {
	//blah, these wont be used

private long myint;
	private double myintsquared;
	private long mysum;

//...

FunLoops(){
		myint = 1;
		myintsquared = 1;
		mysum = 0;
	}

public void magicSquare(int x) {
		int increment = 0;
		int sum = 0;
		for ( int i = 1; i <= x; i++ ){
			if ( i * i == sum ){
				System.out.println(i);
				continue;
			}else if(sum > 1){
				i++;
			}else{
				increment++;
				sum = sum + increment;
			}
		}
	}
}
The compiler bitches and complains if i put a return statement out of the if ( i * i == sum ) block. Changing this function to void doesnt help to much ... If anyone could give me a hand that would be great, thanks.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
you dont need to return anything , you could just pass x by reference, void(int &x), and max x = to what ever you want and it will alter the variable instead of making a copy of the variable.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
you dont need to return anything , you could just pass x by reference, void(int &x), and max x = to what ever you want and it will alter the variable instead of making a copy of the variable.

Thanks, but i was looking for something which had to deal more with my algorithm itself

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

The poster''s language is Java. Java only has call-by-value.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by MrPoopypants

public class FunLoops {
//blah, these wont be used

private long myint;
private double myintsquared;
private long mysum;

//...

FunLoops(){
myint = 1;
myintsquared = 1;
mysum = 0;
}

public void magicSquare(int x) {
int increment = 0;
int sum = 0;
for ( int i = 1; i <= x; i++ ){
if ( i * i == sum ){
System.out.println(i);
continue;
}else if(sum > 1){
i++;
}else{
increment++;
sum = sum + increment;
}
}
}
}

The compiler bitches and complains if i put a return statement out of the if ( i * i == sum ) block. Changing this function to void doesnt help to much ...

If anyone could give me a hand that would be great, thanks.

The compiler probably bitches because not all execution paths terminate with a return statement in the case you mentioned. You can either throw a dummy return statement at the end of the function, or have a value that holds the return value and mutate it''s value where you would have placed a return in the original version. Then, after that assignment, place a break statement. The added return statement will return the assigned value.

Why does the compiler do this? Consider the case when x is 0. The comparison i <= x will always be false and the for-loop will never be executed. What is the return in this case? Your code doesn''t provide any options.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!