Help me! need some advice

Started by
17 comments, last by QzarBaron 20 years, 5 months ago
ok i get C++. and now i need to learn to make games. my question is what book can i buy that will teach me how to do this. now i dont really care what API it uses. but i need a book that will be useful for learning. now ive looked at several books but i need some more help. I was looking at Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus . but im not too sure about taht book. i also looked at RPG game programming. and a couple other books i need some advice plz.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Advertisement
http://gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

--
Dave Mikesell Software & Consulting
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus is an excellent introduction to game programming, it covers many fundamental topics which will get you started. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get started in game development.
I recommend "OpenGL Game Programming" ... since you dont care what api, this is the best book you can read at the beginning. You may know, this book uses OpenGL for graphics and DirectSound/Input for other tasks, you can easily create your own oppinion about both API-style and usage.
well i guess ill give Tricks a try

[edited by - QzarBaron on October 30, 2003 7:53:00 PM]
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
Before you buy a book, look and see what you like more. Open each book and look at the source. Do you like the way the code looks? Make sure you aren''t just choosing one because someone told you so, see for yourself.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
"Tricks of the windows" worked for me, but it teaches some bad habits, and you shouldn''t be satisfied with that book alone.

If you really enjoy making games, you should get a book about game designing (How important designs are? I can''t even begin to describe), and generally read as much as you can from tutorials and things because Tricks of the windows covers allot but not everything.
whats better to start with:

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus
Windows Game Programming for dummies
Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX 8.0

[edited by - QzarBaron on October 29, 2003 7:37:44 PM]

[edited by - QzarBaron on October 29, 2003 9:06:36 PM]
quote:Original post by QzarBaron
whats better to start with:

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus
Windows Game Programming for dummies
RPG game programming

IMO, Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus.
I agree with Chacha.

Charles Hwang -Also/Previously known as Tazel
[MonkeyHumor My Site|E-mail|NeXe|NeHe|SDL]
[Google|Dev-C++|GDArticles|C++.com|MSDN]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement