DirectShow - Video Questions

Started by
0 comments, last by Omega147 20 years, 5 months ago
Umm, alright, I''m gonna be playing some videos (cut-scenes) here in a game I''m making, and I was looking to see if anyone could give me some pointers/tips on some things... 1) I need a good, universal video compression that''s gonna be compatible on nearly every Windows computer. I know .avi''s are pretty universal, but they tend to be fairly large in file size. If you know of a good, universal format that doesn''t distort the image or a compression that shrinks a video file fairly well without distorting it, I''d appreciate it. 2) If all else fails, I guess I could always install the proper files to run a well-compressed video on any machine (QuickTime, for example), but I''d want to do it without having to fully install the program (QuickTime). Is there even a way to do that with QuickTime (have libraries on the computer so it can play the video files in a player I made myself, all without having the QuickTime player installed)? I hope what I''m asking makes sense... lol. Let me know if some of the things need clarification. Basically, I''m just asking for things people have done in the past with videos in game. Good techniques, things to watch for, helpful programs, that kind of stuff. Thanks.
Advertisement
1. For some reason, i have found cinepak codec to be the fastest when playing back, and im fairly sure its on win95->winxp by default. Needless to say, its not very good at compressing
2. Just register the divX (or xvid - prob. better) on their system. Quicktime is bloated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement