• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARS_999

performance not good

This topic is 5447 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using VBO''s and yes I am not culling anything yet. So I decided to only draw half my terrain with glDrawElements() and see if I gained FPS back. NOPE. I rendered only 1/4 of my terrain and still no FPS increase to get worked up over. So my question is their a limit of how much you can store in VBOs? I have my vertex, texture, normals, data all in VBOs. Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks

Advertisement
In general you get about 5%-10% more speed (probably in wireframe)...no more!

However it depends on the difference between the time you would spent to pass geometry without arrays/vertex buffer and the time renderer spent to draw geometry.
It depends also on your HW/driver
But the gain is not so much...

quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks

Have you checked that you are actually geometry-limited and not fill-limited...?

quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
quote:
Original post by MARS_999
Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks

Have you checked that you are actually geometry-limited and not fill-limited...?

Ok, call me dumb, but I am not sure what the difference is between geometry limited and fillrate limited?

Thanks

I don''t know if there is a limit to the VBO''s, but the engine we have uses them and can draw alot more than 5 with good FPS. I dunno anything about your architecture, but here''s one thing I can say from my experience. The single greatest improvement of FPS we ever saw was limiting the number of times we cleared the depth buffer. I dunno and prolly doubt it is your problem, but if you cut back your terrain rendering to 1/4 and saw barely noticeable FPS increase, limiting those hefty calls will work wonders. BTW, what FPS are you getting now anyway? If you around 10-15 than you should look more into it, but if you''re up at like 40-50, then you''re probably not in as bad trouble as you think.

Lowering the size of your texture could be another viable option, but I don''t know how big they are. What size are they?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!