performance not good

Started by
7 comments, last by MARS_999 20 years, 6 months ago
I am using VBO''s and yes I am not culling anything yet. So I decided to only draw half my terrain with glDrawElements() and see if I gained FPS back. NOPE. I rendered only 1/4 of my terrain and still no FPS increase to get worked up over. So my question is their a limit of how much you can store in VBOs? I have my vertex, texture, normals, data all in VBOs. Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks
Advertisement
How many vertices are you sending?
What are your system specs?
What is your FPS?

Member of the Un-Ban nes8bit Association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig)
Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
In general you get about 5%-10% more speed (probably in wireframe)...no more!

However it depends on the difference between the time you would spent to pass geometry without arrays/vertex buffer and the time renderer spent to draw geometry.
It depends also on your HW/driver
But the gain is not so much...
quote:Original post by MARS_999
Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks

Have you checked that you are actually geometry-limited and not fill-limited...?
quote:Original post by Raduprv
How many vertices are you sending?
What are your system specs?
What is your FPS?

Member of the Un-Ban nes8bit Association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig)
Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory

Well vertices should be 256x256 or 65k
System specs Athlon XP 2600+, 333fsb, 1GB RAM, 9700Pro 128
around 20-30fps
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
quote:Original post by MARS_999
Also I am using 5 texture units. So I am stumpped? Thanks

Have you checked that you are actually geometry-limited and not fill-limited...?

Ok, call me dumb, but I am not sure what the difference is between geometry limited and fillrate limited?

Thanks
I don''t know if there is a limit to the VBO''s, but the engine we have uses them and can draw alot more than 5 with good FPS. I dunno anything about your architecture, but here''s one thing I can say from my experience. The single greatest improvement of FPS we ever saw was limiting the number of times we cleared the depth buffer. I dunno and prolly doubt it is your problem, but if you cut back your terrain rendering to 1/4 and saw barely noticeable FPS increase, limiting those hefty calls will work wonders. BTW, what FPS are you getting now anyway? If you around 10-15 than you should look more into it, but if you''re up at like 40-50, then you''re probably not in as bad trouble as you think.
Lowering the size of your texture could be another viable option, but I don''t know how big they are. What size are they?
256x256

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement