RTS AI

Started by
23 comments, last by baykalsa 20 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to make a RTS game.But I don''t know how to make the AI.I think you ''ll say GameTrees .How can i make a Game Tree for my RTS game? New Age&Electronic Music http://www.mp3.com/baykal
Advertisement
GAME TREES IN RTS??????????

at each step you have hundreds opportunities to go! so it will work very slowly and won''t calculate more than 2 steps ahead in reasonable time! you have to use neural networks or invent specific algorithms for your strategy.

tell more about your rts! has it already written?

i have some ideas to make ai to rts using neural networks, but it is hard to me to describe they in english. maybe i will do it if you want. also i have unit with nn''s in pascal.

from russia with love
excuse me for my russian english :)
The answer to your question, newbie one, is inside of YOU. Ask yourself...
What does my game need to do?
What do my agents need to do?
What do I do when I''m playing the game?
What information do I keep track of to be informed?
What criteria do I use to make decisions?

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

use a Finite State machine or something, but for the gentleman that said use a neural net, that would be over kill and computationally expensive, granted it may work but neural nets in this scenario would be no different than a game tree or FSM, in the way that you would be using it...

I agree totally with InnocuousFox, but I would like to add one thing, if you have never done RTS AI before start with the basics like a FSM, once you get the hang of it, build on your previous knowledge and attempt Neural Nets, Decision Trees or even Rule Based Systems...
-Lucas
Finite State machine is the same as finite automate?? or not?

my hard_to_explain_idea is to build distributed system of neural networks: each square of map, for instance 4*4, corresponds to network, all networks are identical (with the same weights), they output vector of n floats, for instance 2, and input game situation in its square and output vectors of itself and its 4 or 8 neighbors. units have another networks or don''t have any network, and their behavior depends on game situation and output vector of nearest network in the distributed system.c so we have to optimize very low amount of weights.

i didn''t implemented this algorithm yet, because i''m lazy to write strategy, but i written unit with neural networks and some optimization algorithm (hybrid of darwin and gradient descent).

quote:simple nonlinear dynamics may result in adaptive behavior!!
http://wsni2003.narod.ru/Papers/Nepomn2.pdf
quote:Original post by baykalsa
I am trying to make a RTS game.But I don''t know how to make the AI.I think you ''ll say GameTrees .How can i make a Game Tree for my RTS game?

Could you be a little more specific about what you need? What exactly does the "A.I." need to do?

-Predictor
http://will.dwinnell.com

I think that''s part of the problem. There can be dozens of uses and dozens of coresponding types of AI in a given RTS. Strategic AI, Unit Buiding, Pathfinding, Tactical, Economic...

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

pathfinding is trivial, and it is not needed in this algorithm because behavior is fully determined by network.
strategic ai - i hope it will show some strategy
buildings may also have nn

i don''t pretend to describe ALL ai with my method, it is only part of it, but the largest part.

another idea: units may excrete "smells" in the environment according to situation, smells distribute and disappear, and units behave according to smell concentration, gradient and situation. and also units may excrete "hormones" in their own "blood". in this case distributed system is not needed and therefore it will run faster.
(wormball... is your stuff really addressing what the OP was asking?)

Blogs I write:

what do you think is wrong?
and do you have another ideas??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement