Turn-based strategy game project?

Started by
1 comment, last by Arutau 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi All - I''m a novice programmer looking to start my first game development project. I''m a big-fan of turn-based strategy games, and I''d like to take a crack at making a *very* simple turn-based, 2D strategy game in the tradition of Panzer General (PC) and Advance Wars 1/2 (GBA). Can anyone recommend any good books, websites, code samples or other resources to help me get started? As this will be my first effort I''m not looking to try anything too difficult -- just a flat 2D tactical map (using a square or hex-based grid) and a handful of units (tank, plane, infantry) that will be shared between two player-controlled sides -- only the colors and facing will be different. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, - Arutau
Advertisement

Here''s a list of strategy games made with SDL. Most of the noncomercial ones are open source, I think. Try have a look at one of the simpler projects. If the source is badly commented, choose another.

As a novice programmer it may seem daunting to learn by reading raw source-code, but trust me, its a valuable skill, there''s a lot more souce-code to be found on the net than there are tutorials and documentation, especially on less general subjects.

---------"It''s always useful when you face an enemy prepared to die for his country. That means both of you have exactly the same aim in mind." -Terry Pratchett
Personally, I don''t find code reading to be very helpful [though the skill itself is exceptionally valuable]. And being a beginner, the only advice I can give is that hexes are tricky to render and deal with.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

this site has a perverbial buttload of links and information [though most is fairly advanced].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement