Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizzy

VERY simple VB question

i''ll look in help too - but i thought if i asked here people might also let me know any tips, or do not''s... ok - very simple i have a large string of code for a command - and i have more than one form using it - but i don''t want to have to have it in each form what sort of thing do i add to my "project" window - so that i can make it a class or whatever it''s called i believe i can make a "class" or "object" or something in the project window that just holds that code, and then call it in the form with just the name, yes? for instance i have 10 forms needing a simple command, say x=x+y(2-3)/5+2 can''t i make it a class or object or something - and just make the form call it by name - such as "Special Math Thing"?

What you need is a module. Add a module to your project (Project -> Add Module). Put your code in the module, in the form of a global (use the Public keyword) function or procedure. Now, you can call that function from any form you have, either explicitly or not, like so:
modFooBar.MeaningOfLife(42)
MeaningOfLife(42)
You can create classes and derive objects using VB, but it doesn't sound like you need it...

[Insert witty signature here]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on October 23, 2003 11:31:40 AM]

ok i figured it out - kind of

i made a Module - then inside it put "Public Function LoadGrid()"

then put all the code in - and it works (Call LoadGrid)

but two quick questions

-is that the best way to do it?
-the (), that''s for variables right?

so if i have it doing a math function (which it''s not - but it''s the easiest way to show it) - then i could do something like

Public Function LoadGrid(x,y)

v=x+y

end function

then in the form do "Call LoadGrid(2,3) - yes?

and the v is so that it can return some sort of answer... to another variable, so i can see it

Guest Anonymous Poster
What you need is a module. Add a module to your project (Project -> Add Module). Put your code in the module, in the form of a global (use the Public keyword) function or procedure. Now, you can call that function from any form you have, either explicitly or not, like so:
MeaningOfLife(42)
You can create classes and derive objects using VB, but it doesn''t sound like you need it...

quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
MeaningOfLife(42)
. You can create classes and derive objects using VB, but it doesn''t sound like you need it...

[Insert witty signature here]

thanks. i wasn''t exactly sure what the class was...

i pretty much just need the function to do some simple searching through a very large array, and putting the results into a grid i just didn''t want to have a ton of code in each form.