How can I make a realistic car sound?

Started by
6 comments, last by ThunderMusic_80 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I just wanted to know how to generate a car sound in a game. I mean, I won''t record the car at every motor spead... it would mean too much data if I have even as low as 10 cars... So, How must I record the car sound to generate a realistic car sound in a game when the car accelerate or break? Thanks ThunderMusic
ThunderMusic
Advertisement
One way to do it is to record a car idling and then increase the pitch as the car accelerates. When the car shifts gears, reset to the normal pitch and start increasing again.
I know I can do it like that, but the sound will be unrealistic really fast, because changing the pitch change the sound... as an example, record your voice and raise the pitch by 3 whole tone, and record your voice 3 whole tone higher and the sound won''t be the same at all. So that''s why I know that just recording it at idle and lifting the pitch won''t do the trick... but I had an answer in another forum.

Thanks

ThunderMusic
ThunderMusic
can you share it with us, please?
Just print the letters "Grnnnnnnnnn" for acceleration and "Eeeeeeeeeec!" for braking!
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
quote:Original post by ThunderMusic_80
I know I can do it like that, but the sound will be unrealistic really fast, because changing the pitch change the sound... as an example, record your voice and raise the pitch by 3 whole tone, and record your voice 3 whole tone higher and the sound won''t be the same at all. So that''s why I know that just recording it at idle and lifting the pitch won''t do the trick... but I had an answer in another forum.

Thanks

ThunderMusic

Very true. What you need is a compromise. Record say four or five different engine sounds at different rev speeds, and raise the pitch of one until you wish to swap to another, then raise the pitch of that etc. etc. If you work on it you should be able to swap between the sounds quite seamlessly.

This is the same issue with wavetable synthesisers. Often they might record one note per octave from an instrument, and for the notes in-between they bend the pitch.
Here''s a topic on FMOD that I found that relates to this discussion....

http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1950&highlight=car+automobile+engine

It''s seems to confirm several people''s ideas and be pretty easy to implement...

Hope that helped
do unto others... and then run like hell.
It''s pretty much what I had as an answer in another forum...

Thanks to all

ThunderMusic

P.S. JNewt, nice trick... will take it for my next text-based game... lol
ThunderMusic

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement