Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peon

Looking for feedback on a sketch

I was just looking for a little feedback on a sketch I did yesterday. Nothing in particular, and I don't plan to use it for anything, but I'd just like to see what people think. I guess my main question would be if the new assassin has a somewhat 'Asian' look to her, which is what I was going for. Below it is a similar character (SOMEWHAT inspired by the Diablo 2 assassin) that I drew about 2 years ago (to show a comparison): Old one [edited by - Peon on October 23, 2003 3:45:23 PM] [edited by - Peon on October 23, 2003 4:05:43 PM]

Well I can''t see the old image, but anyways it looks good only 1 things that I can say about it and they are picky things

1) the feet don''t see to line up, maybe the ground isn''t level.. 2) She seems a little short

Overall Nice Work

Please visit Turt99 Productions

well, it certainly is a nice improvement
Better proportions, better posing, more alive, more balanced.
There is a slight mistake on the neck, possibly because of bad scanning ? But it definitely needs to be thinned on the right side (for us)

If you were aiming for an asian look, I dont really think you achieved it... it looks more like a southern american look, because of the feathers mostly. The face of the woman is very good though, I just think it''s the costume design that''s kinda off mark.

Very nice concept though

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I was really interested is in if the face looks Asian; I actually didn't try too hard to make the costume look Asian; I was more trying to mimic the previous picture from memory. I like how it turned out, though you're right, it doesn't look Asian.

That's one thing I always have trouble with: draw people from different races. I sort of have a generic template for each race... usually I draw Asians with smaller eyes that slant more, caucasians with bigger eyes/jaws, etc... but I have a hard time with it.

I've looked at some pictures but it's really hard to tell what makes a person look like they're from a certain race. For example, I can take a picture of an Asian person and cover up their eyes, but I still know they're Asian. Any advice for something like this? I think that I am unable to determine subtle differences between people, in general, which is why I can't do caricatures, or specific people. Perhaps a site that might point out "landmarks" on a face that you can use to help you draw a picture?

I kinda rambled on there, but thanks again for the comments

-=Peon=-

[edited by - Peon on October 24, 2003 4:54:11 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I like the flow of the posing overall. The bent arm and falling hair do a good job of taking you around the piece.

You might want to work on the hands a bit though, flesh out each finger (especially the thumb) some more. The hand extended outwards seems to be blending into the knife rather than holding on to it.

Also the neck looks a bit thick (well some women are like that).

In any case, you can see improvement over your to years eh? Keep up the good work.

-~-

I am not too sure if there is a guide to different races as such, but you can look up anything that studies the face morphology in general. The trick is to use racial "cliches" to caracterize someone, at first.
Caricature is probably a good way to start, to learn what makes someone look asian (slanted eyes, high cheekbones), american (big white teethed Hollywood smile, perfect permed haircut), african (big lips and flat nose), etc...
And before you call me racist, please remember these are cliches, and I know them as such. The point is, if you start there, you can then start *trying* different things.
Caricature (as in, very simple drawing style) will let you forget about the subtle variations and focus on what''s important. Something as simple as the jaw structure, the nose, the brows...
If you start by drawing actually a very limited amount of details, it will make you think of what''s important.
It''s the same exercise that one would have to do if one was to model various racial traits with low polygon amount.

I wish I knew of an online source, but on this one most of my material is books

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

*Necros thread*

Thanks again for the previous comments I don''t know if I''ll ever finish the following coloring because I''m bad about finishing things, but I''ll post what I''ve done. It''s only the second piece I''ve tried to colored, and I''m still trying to develop a color style.

Thoughts?

-=Peon=- : A Poorly Implement Forum Bot ------
© Kordova, 2003

If you''re going for a cartoony rather than totally realistic style, it''d help a lot if you had cleaner lines before you start colouring.
I''d suggest going over your pencil lines on computer, or at least touching them up a little.
It''ll make colouring a lot easier.

quote:
Original post by Lucidium
If you're going for a cartoony rather than totally realistic style, it'd help a lot if you had cleaner lines before you start colouring.
I'd suggest going over your pencil lines on computer, or at least touching them up a little.
It'll make colouring a lot easier.
I agree... I've found that to be hindering me a lot. Is there a standard way of cleaning lines, or is it just a lot of tedious crafting with the eraser to smooth out the lines?

EDIT: I took into consideration wht Lucidium said, and scrapped the version above (well, not literally ) I decided to try out a new, more simple style. I kind of like it, and it's a lot faster too. What do you guys think?

-=Peon=- : A Poorly Implement Forum Bot ------
© Kordova, 2003

[edited by - Peon on November 23, 2003 8:09:19 PM]