Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sord

Speed problems

Hello, I''m trying to get through the tutorials, however everything goes so extremely fast. For example the textured box in example 7, if I even tap left then its spinning extremely fast. Or in the previous ones like the cube moving around the triangle, I have to add an extra 0 after the decimal for it to look right where it changes the rotation. How can I implement something to change rotations based on speed or something? For example if I make a 3d world like NeHe World how do I make it so hitting up doesnt take me to the other end of the world whereas its correct on slower computers? Thanks Comp Specs: Dual 2.4GHz P4 1GB RAM 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro etc.

Well you have v-sync off in your open gl settings in the properties of your video card. Its recomended you turn them on as a default (not always on) so nehe demos don''t blaze on your computer.

For time based momvemnt I base movement on a average frame render time (I call it speedadj). When ever i mutiply or move somthing i mutiply it by that factor(speedadj). You can get the time it takes to render each frame by using a clock call and compairing the time of the current frame to that of the last frame.

I smooth the factor over 4 frames to avoid any "jumps" if a frame rate is dramaticly increased or decresed.

Thank a lot for the timely response! Enabling v-sync to always on fixed the problem. I''ll look into adjusting speeds later when I get into actually useful programs now that I don''t have to worry about doing it myself.