Okay now that I know how to program...

Started by
17 comments, last by Palin 20 years, 5 months ago
I read an article where someone was getting angry about newbie''s wanting to make advanced games but not taking enough time to learn the advanced stuff themselves before even trying to make the game. Well I did and now I''m not here for the graphics or anything like that. I want to know all of the elements involved in making an RPG with detailed instructions as to maybe a generic way of making them. Does anyone know of a tutorial or something I could find on this? Like levels, percentages to increase points needed for level ups and other things like that. Can anyone help Please? Palin John 3:16 people John 3:16. And that is only the tip of the iceburg.
John 3:16 people John 3:16. And that is only the tip of the iceburg.
Advertisement
Do you mean rulesets??

If so, kind of the wrong place maybe?

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
Maybe it''s just me, but every time I see a "How do you make an RPG" thread, I wonder if it''s better to write one yourself, and ask for specific help on topics you can''t make yourself.

How about you start something the way you think it should go, and if it fails, try again a different way. If you still can''t get it, post here again for help. This is the way I start developing games, and it''s the best way to learn some creative thinking in solving your own problems.
Asking "how to make an RPG" is very broad. Perhaps way too much. I suppose it would only be fair to answer in a broad sense, so as to give you an answer as close to what you''ve asked as possible...

1'' Plan on some stuff.
2'' Prepare ressources and code.
3'' Produce and ingest coffee.
4'' Implement ressources along with code.
5'' Test.
6'' Produce and ingest coffee.
7'' Debug.
8'' Re-test.
9'' Release.

There you go.

Perhaps a more in-depth explanation of what you want could help a little... Are you looking for help on writing the game engine? On planning content? Or on coming up with a basic storyline? There are many, many aspects to making an RPG and covering everything would be impossible. The basics, alone, are quite considerable...
10. Patch
11. Patch
254. Release expansion pack
255. Patch

Why would anyone do all the hard stuff, then ask others to do the fun bit?

Honestly - game design is fun! You want to know about "The Official Way To Progress To The Next Level"? Don''t be so bizarre!

Come up with your RPG idea, and this kind of thing will flow naturally out of it.

Example: If the "Ultimate Player" in your game is one who has killed 1000 Mermaids, then maybe you level up with every 20 mermaids you kill. So if thats the case, then you design your levels such that there are weak mermaids available to low level characters and more feisty buggers in the further reaches of the game. And so on until 5am the following day when the last drink you have before going to bed is the morning coffee.

There are so many variables that if you make all the decisions yourself, you will have a unique game that you can take all the credit for.

Of course, if you aren''t making a game about mermicide, then I can''t help you.
quote:Original post by Palin
I read an article where someone was getting angry about newbie's wanting to make advanced games but not taking enough time to learn the advanced stuff themselves before even trying to make the game. Well I did and now I'm not here for the graphics or anything like that. I want to know all of the elements involved in making an RPG with detailed instructions as to maybe a generic way of making them. Does anyone know of a tutorial or something I could find on this? Like levels, percentages to increase points needed for level ups and other things like that. Can anyone help Please?

Palin

Did You ever play RPG games, i mean real RPG like AD&D, CyberPunk 2020 or WarHammer ??? if not go and buy one, play with friends. Then You will see what elemnts You need in RPG game

[Edited:] Real RPG <> Computer Games !

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We Would
When Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It’s A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It’s Never Gonna Die"

THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR

[edited by - Estor on October 24, 2003 9:08:19 AM]
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
I agree with the above poster who said game design is the fun part. If i could design my own game without having to program, I would be really happy.

Anyway, you could do like Baldur''s Gate and friends and adopt the official AD&D rules, but I think it would be much more fun to come up with your own system. (Plus i happen to think the AD&D rules are kinda stupid).

To answer one of your specific questions, usually doubling the experience points required to get to the next level is a good bet.

eg
to get to level 2: 10 pts
to get to level 3: 20 pts
to get to level 4: 40 pts
to get to level 5: 80 pts
to get to level 6: 160 pts
to get to level 7: 320 pts

When in doubt about what to put in a game design, I always believe that its good to model the ''real'' world when in doublt. For example, when deciding what kind of character stats to give your characters, The following are good:

Strength,
Speed/agility
Stamina

Whereas the following are bad:

luck - no such thing as a ''lucky'' or ''unlucky'' person
alignment/belief - Dont encode this into the character, let the player of your game act according to his own alignment
Intelligence - again, this should be handled by the player of your game and not the character inside the game.

This is all completely a matter of personal preference (mine). If you disagree or have any opinions about what ive said, then GOOD! If you dont have ideas of your own, it will be a long hard road making your game, no matter how much programming experience youve got!

Good luck (not that theres such thing )

I just meant the variables. Maybe a few equations I mean I know about story lines and all of that. But like when I look at that RPGToolkit thing. It''s great if you don''t want to go through the whole code yourself but I do I just need to know the variables in general that most RPG''s on average use. I suppose though that it was too broad of a topic. I just can''t come up with many things on my own anymore. It''s been too long. Well thank you for your posts. Later.
That''s entirely up to you. The general layout of abilities would be something along the lines of power, defense, magic power, magic defense and speed, though there''s no universal rule for this stuff. Just think of what you want to see in your game. I usually have the above, as well as accuracy, reflex (hit% and avoid% respectively) and luck (which affects misc. stuff, such as critical hits, ''surprised'' encounters, etc).

For stuff such as health and MP, I use a Basic Value + (Growth x Level) formula. For instance, 500 HP plus 100 per level, give or take 1/8th.

For EXP, the doubling method is good but gets out of hand rather quickly. I prefer using an exponential equation, like BaseEXP + BaseEXP ^ 1.1 every level (which does, assuming 100 exp at level 1, something like this...)

It''s all about experimenting. If you have a graphic calculator, just try a few functions and graph them, see what it looks like. Experiment, tweak stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement