Question about Morrowind...

Started by
11 comments, last by Ritual Magic 20 years, 5 months ago
Don''t know if any of you guys have ever played this. I''m currently working on a terrain engine, and although I have it (sort) of working in a very basic way, I''d like to start adding features to it. At the moment, it''s a basic heightmap. I don''t even have any textures on it or a skybox around it. I''d eventually like it to grow to something approaching the beaty of Morrowind''s environments. Now, I realise that''s a tall order, but I''m accepting limitations such as: 1) I don''t really care about multiple zones. That is, I would just like to render a really professional small area, of a size small enough to load fully. No zone swapping. 2) Alot of the effects in MW which heighten the realism are particle effects such as dust and rain. I don''t need any of that. 3) I only need OUTDOOR environments - indoor is a problem I will tackle another day What I really need is a list of some of the techniques used ( or what were probably used, as I realise none of us is likely to be sitting on the source code at the moment hehe), so I can go google them and start to add things one by one. I''ve already started googling, but I''m being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of info out there. I''d like to sort of narrow it down a bit Thanks RM. ------------------------------------------------------------ Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
Advertisement
Morrowind does not use heightmaps.

the world is just one big 3d model - this way they can have overhangs and caves. take a look at morrowind''s editor to get more info.

[ My Site ]

Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig) (Welcome back to JesperT)
Founding member of "Dave Astle is an ALIEN god" association (DAIAAGA) (proof here)(to join put this in your sig and praise Dave daily)
/*ilici*/
Well that''s not entirely true. Morrowind does use a hightmap of sorts for the ground. Everything else in the landscape (Boulders, Trees, Buildings, etc...) is a 3D Object place on or in the heightmap terrain. No culling or anything is done, they just brute force it (I''m sure I heard one of the developers state this in an interview).

Interiors are also 3D objects attached to each other. Each hallway, room, and items is a different object. Though strangley Morrowind does no form of space partitioning on its interiors.

Like Ilici said. Check out the editor and you will learn a lot from it.

Will do guys, thanks much

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
quote:they just brute force it

Not that this would be a good idea ... Its performance is sometimes not acceptable
go the telvanni and the its almighty tree houses in the western expanses
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
quote:Original post by noVum
quote:they just brute force it

Not that this would be a good idea ... Its performance is sometimes not acceptable

It depends, usually brute force is better than some elaborate ROAM style scheme and if you don''t have insane amounts of geometry or really long view distances the benefits of LOD aren''t worth it. A lot of games (first person shooters for example) don''t have these things so they don''t benefit from LOD. Morrowind probably could have taken advantage of it in some of the larger more occluded areas and towns.
Keep in mind that Morrowind used a 3rd party rendering engine, NDL. You know, the same one that handled Freedom Force and Star Trek Bridge Commander. Neither of those games required any special terrain system whatso ever. My best bet is that NDL has some ''very'' limited options for working it.

~Vendayan
"Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed man. He will surely attempt to disarm you as well"~Vendayan
quote:Original post by Impossible
It depends, usually brute force is better than some elaborate ROAM style scheme and if you don''t have insane amounts of geometry or really long view distances the benefits of LOD aren''t worth it.

The only reason it is this way is because our graphics cards nowdays are so powerful they can pour out pixels faster than the CPU can run the LOD equations. If you tried rendering software mode you would need every LOD trick in the book.

quote:Original post by Drath
quote:Original post by Impossible
It depends, usually brute force is better than some elaborate ROAM style scheme and if you don''t have insane amounts of geometry or really long view distances the benefits of LOD aren''t worth it.

The only reason it is this way is because our graphics cards nowdays are so powerful they can pour out pixels faster than the CPU can run the LOD equations. If you tried rendering software mode you would need every LOD trick in the book.

Thats not true at all.

With Geforce 4 hardware it is more efficient to cull than render 2000 triangles. I don''t know what type of hardware you are running with, but triangle reduction and culling is extremely important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement