Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GamerSg

Free webhosts with no file size limits

What''s the purpose of this? Is it for people to download your stuff? If so, the bandwidth allowed is going to be more of a concern than the filesize limit.

If it''s for private use, then Yahoo Briefcase satisfies your requirements.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

It''s for people to download stuff. I don''t think that it will be that popular that i will run out of 1gb bandwidth in a month.
Currently i can''t afford a webhost, bandwidth is expensive in asia. But i really want to distribute my app which is about 14.9 mb in rar format. I signed up with tripod and put my file there and my account got deleted the next day.

I was even thinking of using torrent to distribute the file, but torrent requires the Bittorrent file to be open in order to be able to distribute it.

1GB/month is alot for a free host... I think you''ll have difficulty finding one. Even GameDev stopped new GD Showcase submissions because the bandwidth was too costly... and if they re-enable it, only premium members would be able to host their files on the server (last I heard).

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

I don''t know, but the trend appears to be a minimum of 1gb. Tripod gives 1gb/month, geocities gives 3gb/month. Ofcourse they are ad-supported and need more pages to generate more ad revenues. From what i heard, bandwidth is becoming very very cheap in the US.

In the past, im quite sure fortunecity was offering 100mb of space. But it appears that now banner ads are almost worth nothing.

Just sign up for hundreds of Angelfire or Tripod accounts (er, as many as needed). That gives you basically unlimited bandwidth; when you run out, just make a new account and upload again (although it may be sort of a slow process). That''s what I did before I got my free hosting (which you can''t have, it''s a thing).

Eh, it''s not the bandwidth currently, it''s being able to upload a huge file(14-18mb). Signing up for multiple hosts is not a problem. Nobody is going to download 10-20 files if i were to break it up.

If its open source, you can use SourceForge. They offer a whole bunch of useful services besides unlimited space (no filesize limit) for your program and 100Mb for the website (which doesn''t include the actual program (no ads on your actual web page!) Look at my signature for an example.
BTW, what does this have to do with this forum?

The official zorx website

Eh, its not open source.

Well for us independant developers, the web is the only way to distribute our stuff to the world. Maybe when i start working during attachment ill find a host. Till then im still looking.

Guest Anonymous Poster
how did they make sourceforge.net? why don''t you independants pitch in and start your own sourceforge and not need to worry about things like this anymore? it comes up so damn much and it isn''t even that complex.

quote:
Original post by GamerSg
Eh, its not open source.

Well for us independant developers, the web is the only way to distribute our stuff to the world. Maybe when i start working during attachment ill find a host. Till then im still looking.

Hmm, have you considered hosting it yourself?

You mean hosting it on my computer?

Well im on cable and get a measely 15kb/s upload.

I for one wouldnt even bother downloading from a site which gave me anything below 50kb/s. Even if i did host it, it would be against the terms and conditions of my cable provider which is another thing.

Also if people were to download it, my connection would pretty much become very very slow and online gaming would not be possible.

I signed up for tripod again put up all my HTML pages too and at this point the account has not been deleted yet. I suppose it was deleted the last time because i only had 1 page with a link to download the file and tripod probably too the page as a File distribution point.

Try going to http://www.tucows.com/ and there is a SUBMIT SOFTWARE link near the bottom. I have never tried them but it looks as if they don''t charge if you don''t use any "special features". Let us know if it works and if it is truly free. It looks like they have a game section so that should work. I tried looking at other sites like download.com but they said there was a listing fee of $79.

I have also seen some sites that are unable to pay for alot of bandwith putting up p2p links for all the different p2p''s. But like you said you have to have the program open in order to send to people unless you have a very popular file that people reshare.

quote:
Original post by Dcower
1&1 currently has a nice, free hosting plan (500mb space, 5gb traffic per month, as far as I know)... And, as they say, three years free!

You need to be living in the US/Canada to be applicable. The offer sounds great though. I havent read their terms but i think you might be obliged to stay on with them after your free period is over.