Some Concept Art...

Started by
10 comments, last by Sage13 20 years, 5 months ago
*******Updated Oct 25th 2003********* test colors [WIP] What are the colors looking like to you so far (just flats BTW) Here are some Chiaroscuro character designs I am working on for my portfolio. There are a total of 12 in all. I'll replace these with the colored versions as they are completed. Crits pls. -~- [edited by - Sage13 on October 24, 2003 7:51:58 AM] [edited by - Sage13 on October 24, 2003 10:45:24 AM] [edited by - Sage13 on October 26, 2003 8:15:02 AM]
Advertisement
they''re awesome...

i love B&W sketches...maybe you should include both in the folio...

the faces are cliche anime, nothing new, but done extremely well...
the costume and weapons designs though and the overall poses etc are just beautiful. inspirational work...

especially the swords and handles...
makes me want to model them in maya

i''d love to see more.
keep up the good work...
AWE-SOME-NESS!!

I like your anime style, it''s nearly professional. Yup nearly, but if you correct some lines it is perfect!
The weapons have cool drawings on them, and the faces are superb.
I love the detail you added to all the parts of everything

You are the One for creating cartoons/concept art.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..
I don''t tend to go for the Anime style designs for the most part, but you have some very nice stuff here. I do notice that some of your construction gets a little loose in places (avera, the last group of three characters) It looks as though you started in to your final cleanup line work before you had finished your construction passes. It looks like you have a good grip on your line work and line quality, so I could see how you might trust your abilities in that area even if you haven''t worked out all your proportions and construction yet. A lot of your posing is quite good, especially the more extreme poses (dot3, everest eastern). I find I tend to spend a little more time working out the proportion of more extreme poses, so that makes sense. I think your sense of compostion and line probably don''t need a lot of work, you are already very strong in that department, but spend a little more time in the construction of your characters and you will be amazing.

Very very nice work.

Designer
PhrenicGames
DesignerPhrenicGames
Wow. Thanks for the encouraging feedback. I have already cleaned up some of the lines in Photoshop that are dirty or a little off here. I''m busy coloring these images right now. I''ll make sure to post them when I''m done (about a week at this rate).

thanks!

-~-
I don''t like anime much but if I could draw half this well, I''d be an artist and not a programmer. Good job
Peon
updates
Wow, cool! I love that coat with the x straps in the back, and the pointed hem of his shirt. Girl 1's sneakers and girl 2's whole outfit are great too.

Okay my color suggestions. Generally, I would say that all the hair needs more shine or shadow, something to give it more depth and texture. Girls 3 and 4 have kind of odd-looking skin, but I know how hard it is to do flesh tones. For the clothing I would suggest: Girl one has too many accent colors- use red or orange but not both. Change the color of the bandages on girl 2 to gold or brown or brown with gold accents. For the guy I would make the boots white and the pants black. For girl three the sweatshirt (and shoe highlights) as-is looks like they've been washed too many times - try a darker gray, spring green, chartruse, canary yellow... something like that. Might also want to change her shirt color because it's too similar to girl 4's outfit. And for girl four change the yellow socks and shoe toungues to something darker, maybe one of the two red-purples from her corset.

Just my thoughts, feel free to ignore.

Oops, there's another batch of them! o_O I gotta run, I'll come back and comment on these later.

[edited by - sunandshadow on October 26, 2003 11:56:33 AM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

cool, I''ll definitely take the suggestions into consideration Thanks!

These are the flat colors BTW, now shading (Highlights and shadows) has been added yet

thanks

-~-
quote:Original post by Sage13
cool, I''ll definitely take the suggestions into consideration Thanks!

These are the flat colors BTW, now shading (Highlights and shadows) has been added yet

thanks

-~-

I''m glad you found it helpful. Okay, here are my thoughts on the rest of the characters:

Guy 2 - I think his skin tone is too purple - it needs a little more yellow, or you could make it darker. And his eyes don''t contrast enough - how about silver or green to match his emerald? The marks on his hair should be darker, either a darker gray or the dark blue of his armor accents. I like his armor a lot, especially the little triangles on the greaves.

Guy 3 - Er... honestly, I hate this guy''s color scheme. I can''t stand red and green together, and the tan just makes it worse imho. How about just red and yellow? Or a native american colorscheme like pastel green, lavender, and sky blue? Keep the necklace though, I like that.

Halfling - What are you going for with this design? Normally halflings are supposed to be cute and innocent/mischevious, but this one strikes me as mean - he looks kind of like a ratboy. I dunno, I don''t like halflings much anyway, so maybe I''m biased.

Guy 4 - His weapon is a big feather? That''s awesome! ^_^ What are the yellow thingies on his head? If they''re horns they should probably have less lines, and if they''re armor thay need a more destinct design. Hmm, and it looks like his left hand accidentally got colored the wrong color. I''m curious how those feathers are attached to his hair, and why his weapon is an owl/turkey type feather but his hair feathers are shaped more like bluejay or crow feathers. (I like the former better).

Hmm, I have a lot to say about this guy. I think the stitches on his loincloth are really working, you should run with them - replace the buttons elsewhere on his clothing with big stitches, maybe x-stitches for these instead of more diagonal ones. The colors almost work. The mustard, burgundy, and blue work well together... I think the problem is that light mauve. Why don''t you replace that with the yellow, and change the yellow highlights around it and on his collar to white to match the feathers.

Guy 5 - The beads are a nice touch - maybe you should put some in his hair or on the ends of his bandanna. I don''t think the red forearm armor goes with his ethnic look. What about some funky brass knuckles or one of those things that connects the wrist and the base of the middle finger.

Guy 6 - The reptilian/shadow thing is really working well here. I think it would be even more dramatic if you left his feet bare so people could see the claws and scales. If you keep the armor boots though, I would change the gray parts to blue so it makes his gray skin contrast more distinctly. I really like the colors of his armor. When you add shadows/highlights to this guy make sure you use purple.

Guy 7 - I love his sword! You should make the boots match those colors. And naturally his cloak would have to match too - it could be pink-purple or aqua. Get rid of those ankle things, they don''t fit with the reat of the design. And I could do without the dragonball z hair, but again that''s just my bias.

If I were you, I would make one of these guys a girl to get a better character balance.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement