Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hitchhiker90

Fedora and kernel 2.6.0-test8

Has anyone been able to boot the 2.6.0-test8 kerenel or any 2.6.0 kernels successfully for Fedora? It will compile and install fine, but on that next boot it hangs with an error with something about "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root at hd(0,0)" or something similiar. I can get the exact error if need be. Silly kernel will compile and boot fine on my laptop with slack 9.1. I can''t figure out if that test kernel is incompatible or if I''m just not adding an option. Does anyone know what it takes to successfully boot with an initrd.img file? Perhaps I forgot to check something on there, or it doesn''t like being a module and must be compiled directly into the kernel?

I had a very similar problem when I first tried the 2.6.0_test3 kernel. (on Slack 9.0) The kernel could not mount the root fs because it was formatted as reiserfs and I compiled reiserfs support as a module and not directly in the kernel. Maybe that''s the problem in your case?

SwSh website!

It may very well be. I compiled 2.4.22 from scratch and it works fine with ext3 as a module, but this 2.6.0 is really getting me. So I''m just gonna experiment with it by using the option to make everything modules, and making a second kernel with ext3 built in along with ramdisk and initrd. Its gonna be a long of experimentation and man hours