Alpha channel

Started by
18 comments, last by idinkin 20 years, 5 months ago
BMP and TGA are the best formats for 32-bit RGBA images availiable in Photoshop. However compressed textures won''t be stored compressed in VRAM after loaded (as long as you don''t convert it to compressable format), they will only save HDD space. However using DXT1/3/5 compression is a very good way of storing compressed textures in VRAM and gain some performance.

Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)
Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Advertisement
I just need a loseless compression for an 8 bit image (With smallest size able). What is the best option?

2mldaalder: PNG allows 16 bit grayscale only... I need 8 bit.
Sometimes movement is a result of a kick in the ass!
And I need that there will be a good editor for the images of the format (like Photoshop)...
quote:Original post by idinkin
I just need a loseless compression for an 8 bit image (With smallest size able). What is the best option?

Try TGA then. TGA uses 8 bit grayscale images (i would''ve thought sure PNG would have as well). If you''re just loading them for your own use, and you need to display them as 8 bit, you could always decode the PNG but add (PixelValue >> 3) to the equation to align it with 8 bits.
Is TGA compression good?
I checked this out, and I see that tga does not support 8 bit encoding (16 bit only for grayscale)... Any suggestions?

PNG supports grayscale images with bit depths of 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16. PNG also support grayscale-with-alpha images with bit depths of 8 and 16. This is straight from the documentation.

The input transformations of libpng allow you to have it modify the bit depth of images as they''re loaded in certain ways, so it often doesn''t even really matter what the file is actually storing.

TIFF also supports a lot of grayscale formats, if you want an even more complex file format.

Thank you for your replies!
I checked this out, and I see that tga does not support 8 bit encoding (16 bit only for grayscale)... Any suggestions?

As far as I know, 8 bits is the only standard depth for grayscale Targa files.

I have found TGA compression to be rather weak. It''s good when most of the data is the same and in sequential order, but it''s completely useless for most other things. I plan on writing a PNG loader later.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement