Questions about how you feel about evolution

Started by
549 comments, last by griffenjam 20 years, 3 months ago
quote:Original post by Voice Of Tango
I think this says all there is to say about evolution.

That site is pretty hilarious -- is it a joke? Do people actually believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs lived alongside humans?

I don''t really see why people have such a hang up over life forms evolving over time due to mutations. Is it some sort of human arrogance that doesn''t want to accept a common heritage shared with almost all life forms on Earth?

What is so offensive about the fact that we are primates? To me, knowing that we have developed (or have been developed by God) from other animals is a more satisfying view of our position in the world -- we are animals ourselves and are linked by blood (so to speak) to the living things around us.

----
Bart
----Bart
Advertisement
quote:Original post by trzy

That site is pretty hilarious -- is it a joke? Do people actually believe that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs lived alongside humans?

I don''t really see why people have such a hang up over life forms evolving over time due to mutations. Is it some sort of human arrogance that doesn''t want to accept a common heritage shared with almost all life forms on Earth?

What is so offensive about the fact that we are primates? To me, knowing that we have developed (or have been developed by God) from other animals is a more satisfying view of our position in the world -- we are animals ourselves and are linked by blood (so to speak) to the living things around us.

----
Bart

The offensive part is because it never happened =]

There has never been any proof and the theory violates over 27 PROVEN scientific laws.

Lol let me guess.. you guys went out to a forest looking for Ents after reading The Two Towers?
quote:Original post by Stonicus
Wow. I haven''t read such pure bullshit in a long time.
Are you going to actually challenge any of the arguments that were put forward, or are you just going to dismiss it all as bullshit. The tract pretty much destroys all the so called ‘evidence’ proving evolution.
quote:
Please remember that thermodynamics is a LAW and evolution is a theory. So when someone that actually still believes in Evolution tries to tell you that a certain species "mutated and lost one of its bones in order for it to move faster", please note this actually goes AGAINST Darwin''s theory and proves yet again the LAW of thermodynamics as there was a breakdown, and also that it MUST have been programmed, it didn''t just happen =]

thats a common and gross misunderstanding of thermodynamics. if thats true as you are led to interpret it, why is it then that the sun is a huge packing of mass in an empty space, with a clear border. why is it that oil and water seperate? thats order emerging out of chaos without any sort of intervention. surely you dont want to deny those thing happen? in fact, those processes are rather understandable if you take more and more aspects of physics into account. therefore its impossible to disprove a theory in a ''high level'' science like biology with an uber low level law like the one you describe. it only holds as a general case, when there is nothing countering it. but there are plenty of forces/phenomena that can. ofcource you could all attribute them to a god. i like to refer to it as science.

evolution has not been proved wrong last time i checked. neither has it been proven: were still in doubt about it. (at least people who look at it without excluding certain possibilitys before even giving it consideration)
its impossible to graps the timescale over which evolution has happened, and taking into account the simply billions times billions of organisms having lived parralel throughout these times, i find it impossible to make a guess about probability. its a case of ->infinity / ->infinity afaik. i certainly wouldnt discard the possibility though. its the best theory weve got sofar.
quote:Original post by Imperil
BUT please note that there hasn''t been a SINGLE case of a mutation adding to the survivability of a species. And there are laws of chemistry that also go along with this.

Both are LAWs (please read not theory but law) of thermodynamics.

First Law: No matter can be created or destroyed, only transfered (molecules distributed, etc).

Second Law: Entrophy (everything breaks down).

A) All processes manifest a tendency toward decay and disintegration, with a net increase in what is called the entropy, or state of randomness or disorder, of the system. This is called the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

B) Thus, any system that experiences even a temporary growth in order and complexity must not only be "open" to the sun''s energy but must also contain a "program" to direct the growth and a "mechanism" to energize the growth.

Point A clearly shows that a mutation will never benefit a species, and point B clearly shows that a species would HAVE to be programmed (upon creation of the species) in order to change.

Please remember that thermodynamics is a LAW and evolution is a theory. So when someone that actually still believes in Evolution tries to tell you that a certain species "mutated and lost one of its bones in order for it to move faster", please note this actually goes AGAINST Darwin''s theory and proves yet again the LAW of thermodynamics as there was a breakdown, and also that it MUST have been programmed, it didn''t just happen =]

You clearly stated the laws of thermodynamics. The first law, what does that have to do with mutation/evolution? Matter cannot be created or destroyed, true, I agree, makes sense. But how will that stop my children being a bit different from me? I don''t see the relationship of that law and having offspring with small variances from the parent. That''s what mutations are. Not comic-book style I wake up tomorrow and I am a member of the Fantastic Four. Small variations, tiny, miniscule, un-noticeable from generation to generation, with possible large mutations on occasion. The large mutations occur mostly through in-breeding, a natural occurence in a dying species. Less members, more in-breeding, more and greater mutation as a last ditch effort for survival.

And point A of law 2 clearly shows nothing. Construction of medical tools, houses, bird''s nests all show an INCREASE in order and descrease of disorder, and an animal''s ability to build a house, a nest, a dam, etc does benefit the survival.

And as for B of law 2, I can agree with that, but what I say does not violate that. Seems like the beginnings of a better definition of what life is.

Also, please have the open-mindedness to consider the possibility that both sides of the spectrum are correct. Creation or evolution? Why not both? Main problem I have with creationism, is who created God? Who created the guy who created god? Who created the guy who created the guy who created god? Just simply being their violates the precious first law you use to support your claims. =)
Maybe I''m mis-informed, but if evolution has such a shaky foundation, why do genetic algorithms work so well in programming? You follow the rules of evolution making random mutations (most of which result in "death") and keep the select few that survive decently. Then over thousands of iterations you end up with something useful.

Stuff like this has been used with FPGA''s to evolve voice recognition circuits using only several hundred transistors. If stuff that complex can be evolved from a simple computer program that only approximates evolution, then I think it provides a pretty decent amount of support for the theory.

--Ben
It''s so obvious we were magicked into being by an all-encompassing consciousness. There can be no other solution. I''ll quote the proof that''s been posted above.

"Then man killed the Creator, if Jesus is God in the flesh."
"Right! Jesus came to earth to shed His blood and die on the cross for you, to wash away your sins, so you could have eternal life with Him."

Which pretty much seals shut the coffin, so to speak, and proves that...

"Then we didn''t evolve! The system has been feeding us THE BIG LIE! We really do have a soul!"

It goes without saying that neutrinos have no place in the little boy''s proof. We can ignore such lies made by science and trust blindly into our own version of the facts.
Ok this is headed for religious war. All I have to say is for all the anti-evolution people. You say that it has never been proven that evolution exists. What a stupid argument. As opposed to the proof of divine intervention?
dude who here actually take chick.com serious? common its so full of bull it really hurts to the eye. browse it for a bit... sjees..
quote:
BUT please note that there hasn''t been a SINGLE case of a mutation adding to the survivability of a species.

What about changes among humans throughout their existance? Are physical characteristics have changed throughout time (long expanses of times, not necessarily within history.)

Explain why Africans, Asians, and Caucasians look so different.

quote:
First Law: No matter can be created or destroyed, only transfered (molecules distributed, etc).

This has absolutely no bearing on evolution. Also, you forgot to take energy into account: Matter can be turned into energy.

Also, it''s not a law of thermodynamics. The first law of thermodynamics is:

Change in internal energy = Heat added - Work done

quote:
Second Law: Entrophy (everything breaks down).

Bullshit. Don''t even try arguing this unless you can show me numbers. Don''t make handwaving arguments about order to disorder and how evolution "violates" it, because it doesn''t.

Here''s the definition of entropy.

quote:
Point A clearly shows that a mutation will never benefit a species,

Wrong, because it has nothing to do with entropy.

quote: and point B clearly shows that a species would HAVE to be programmed (upon creation of the species) in order to change.

Wrong again.

quote:
Evolution tries to tell you that a certain species "mutated and lost one of its bones in order for it to move faster", please note this actually goes AGAINST Darwin''s theory and proves yet again the LAW of thermodynamics as there was a breakdown, and also that it MUST have been programmed, it didn''t just happen =]

You don''t understand mutation and natural selection. Mutations aren''t caused by environments to make organisms "better." Mutations are essentially random and only beneficial ones stay.

----
Bart
----Bart

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement