screensaver

Started by
4 comments, last by justo 20 years, 5 months ago
ok, this isnt entirely off topic, though its more about implementation than actual game development (which is completed). i made a game that''s flash-based and on the web, and i''d like a computer to load the web page as a screensaver. now on the mac this is trivial, but i''ve googled to no end for a windows solution and all i''ve been able to come up with are third party programs. surely there is a simpler way. thanks for any help you guys can give.
Advertisement
<< i made a game that''s flash-based and on the web, and i''d like a computer to load the web page as a screensaver >>

Its been a while since I''ve used Flash (Flash 5 about 2 years ago), but you should be able to export your .swf file as a full-screen .exe ? If so, you can then change the extension from .exe to .scr and put in the correct directory for screen savers (Windows/system32 for XP I believe). Then you have your screen saver? I think. I don''t believe you can have a web page load as a screen saver, but you can if its turned into an executable file (.exe or .scr)

Phil P
quote:
change the extension from .exe to .scr

Screensavers aren''t just exe''s with a .scr slapped on the end. They require you to do much more than make a fullscreen window. I don''t know of any easy way of making a flash game a screensaver, unfortunately.
quote:
Screensavers aren''t just exe''s with a .scr slapped on the end. They require you to do much more than make a fullscreen window. I don''t know of any easy way of making a flash game a screensaver, unfortunately.

Actually, they are. The .scr extension is only to make it easy for windows to know which .exe''s are meant to be screensavers. If you throw it in the windows directory as a .scr, it''ll operate exactly the same way when the screensaver starts.
As long as it''s an excutable, you can just slap a .scr on as an extention... sort of. The program still needs to detect the assorted parameters it''s passed and react accodingly (since windows gives it different parameters when it''s being told to run, told to preview, when the settings button is pressed, so on).

I''m not really very well versed with flash, but if it can be turned into a .exe file *shrugs* then it''s almost there.

Tell me if you can get it to compile into an exe, and if you know how to detect the the command line parameters that are passed with the call windows makes to it, and I can mention what the different parameters mean. Sorry I can''t help any better then that though.
Believe it or not, the idiot is learning.
OUTPUT TO EXE OR SCREENSAVER (SCR)

Compile Screensavers as easily as Projectors! Flash Studio will transform your SWF file into a powerful Executable or Windows Screensaver!

Flash Studio PRO will take your SWF file and compile a fully customizable projector (exe) or screensaver (scr) for royalty free distribution!

Flash Studio

You can also go full screen in Flash

Full Screen Projector

You want to export your Flash file as a "Flash Projector" .exe, then you can try changing the extension to .scr and put in the Windows directory to see if it works as a screensaver.

Phil P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement