Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

File Dump To RAM And Run...

This topic is 5153 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am looking to see if this is possible and if so could you point me to how to do so... Q: I need to have the OS and some Programs (Ones I chose) files to be dumped onto the RAM. Than those files should run DRIECTLY OFF THE RAM NOT USING THE HARD DRIVE AT ALL. I than would need to be able to take out my hard drive and the PC should run fine until the power is lost. Windows CAN boot at first off the hard drive but it would than need to re-boot off the ram when the files are transfered... This would need to work with Windows 2000 and Windows XP... I don''t know if it is possible to have files executed from the systems RAM or not... Please respond even if this is not possible I need to know... Thanks!, Andrew

i know there are programs that will make a ramdisk for you out of your system RAM. unplugging the hard-drive while the system is running will probably cause system problems as well as running the risk of you shorting your system if it''s not a hot swappable drive.

i''m pretty sure that RAM gets wiped when you reboot so you won''t be able to reboot off the RAM, AFAIK. a reboot goes through BIOS and i don''t think you can trick the BIOS into booting off of system ram.

-me

If this client is ComputerGuy(Charlie Swindall), stay far far away....

Or if the one that contacts you is called Tina, there are others too. I have a much longer story to tell, and I think I will write it down in the loungue some day soon.

[edited by - fredizzimo on November 7, 2003 7:00:34 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
It''d be extremely difficult to do this with windows XP or 2000, but linux does it all the time.

Heck I have a router that doesn''t even have a HD, it boots a kernel off of a floppy and downloads the data it needs to start userland.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You don''t have the expertise to do this if you even think for a moment that you could "find the memory address of a program"

ever heard of a virtual machine?