New Game Engine

Started by
17 comments, last by Max_Payne 20 years, 5 months ago
quote:
quote:Renderers: I probably wouldn''t bother with software rendering. I can''t see a minimum system requirements around anywhere (yes you should have one), but it''s really not necessary for most people with the systems of today. It''s also a very time-consuming thing to write. OpenGL and Direct3D switchable renderers is good though.

One of the reasons we are making a software renderer is because it poses a good programming challenge... It can also help for the map editor, and if we have it for the map editor, might as well let the game use it.

I disagree. Now that we have 3D cards, we should use them. To fall back to software rendering like Quake I, to write a software rasterizer that constructs a frame buffer to be copied to video memory, doing stuff like texturing in software, that''s not a challenge, it''s wasting your time.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Fidelio66
quote:
quote:Renderers: I probably wouldn''t bother with software rendering. I can''t see a minimum system requirements around anywhere (yes you should have one), but it''s really not necessary for most people with the systems of today. It''s also a very time-consuming thing to write. OpenGL and Direct3D switchable renderers is good though.

One of the reasons we are making a software renderer is because it poses a good programming challenge... It can also help for the map editor, and if we have it for the map editor, might as well let the game use it.

I disagree. Now that we have 3D cards, we should use them. To fall back to software rendering like Quake I, to write a software rasterizer that constructs a frame buffer to be copied to video memory, doing stuff like texturing in software, that''s not a challenge, it''s wasting your time.

Oh, it''s certainly still a challenge, but yes, it''s wasting time. If you''re determined to include it in your project spec, Max_Payne, then I strongly recommend that you get the other two renderers done first, and then do the software renderer later when it wouldn''t be blocking progress elsewhere. Consider it a perk to be added at the end.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4 | Enginuity5
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
"Don''t document your code; code your documentation." -me

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote:Are you forgetting about your clients? Don't be so naive as to think they won't be your biggest threat. If the engine is popular enough, you will get hacked. Like superpig said, a security key, unless it is fairly complex (which is difficult to do due to resource limitations) can easily be reverse engineered (especially if the project is open-source). Look at how quickly CD key algorithms get hacked (or so I hear)

The 32 bit security key is random, that makes 4 billion possibilities. The only way to "crack" it is to try as many possibilities as you can. To try all these possibilities it would take gigs, making it MUCH harder to spoof client traffic.

quote:Oh, it's certainly still a challenge, but yes, it's wasting time. If you're determined to include it in your project spec, Max_Payne, then I strongly recommend that you get the other two renderers done first, and then do the software renderer later when it wouldn't be blocking progress elsewhere. Consider it a perk to be added at the end.

Obviously its not a top priority. We probably won't be making it ourselves in fact, we might just recruit somebody that likes ASM and optimization to do it for us. I find that having a software renderer along with D3D and OpenGL is a compatibility advantage, anyways, no point in saying its not useful, because it will be done one day :D

Not so long ago I have started a small section about physics... Now, the next thing I need to add is something that describes our world format and how the game world will be managed... Then I will revise the document some more and we will be ready to start.

On a side note, hasn't anybody found grammar or spelling mistakes?

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

[edited by - Max_Payne on November 8, 2003 3:28:27 AM]

www.xgameproject.com
You don''t need an ID. In the unlikely even they did manage to spoof their address in the packet headers, you''d end up sending their packets to the wrong address, and communication simply wouldn''t work.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
quote:Original post by smart_idiot
You don''t need an ID. In the unlikely even they did manage to spoof their address in the packet headers, you''d end up sending their packets to the wrong address, and communication simply wouldn''t work.

Ah please stop talking about what you don''t understand. With raw sockets, anybody can spoof the origin address and port. The server port is known... So if you know of a person who''s on the server because he is on IRC or on ICQ, you can just try all port numbers and keep sending disconnection commands until the person gets kicked, which could be done in a few seconds. With the security key, it could hardly be done in a few days.

www.xgameproject.com

www.xgameproject.com
!!!!!!!!!
"We have also chosen not to simulate the more advanced physical phenomenons such as air resistance because this does not play a very important role in most games (apart from flight simulators)."

I completely disagree! you guys will miss the most exciting effects you can have in your physics engine!! How about drinving a car. Without this force your car will never stop accelerating! (ok there is rolling resist but still it will not look realistic at all!!)

Air resistance is so important.! How about magnus effect? its so cool especially in explosions!
Well in the end its your choice.
Yeah I''m sure all racing games simulate air resistance

www.xgameproject.com

www.xgameproject.com
quote:Original post by Max_Payne
Yeah I''m sure all racing games simulate air resistance

Actually, they probably do - or at least, ''resistance to motion,'' which would be friction and air resistance rolled into one.

If you design a generalised physics system, adding air resistance should be a no-brainer - it''s just another dampening force in the system.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

> Guaranteed UDP is easier to implement than having two connection mechanisms.

I disagree; but there''s another very good reason for using guaranteed udp instead of tcp: unordered packets. For alot of stuff you need guaranteed delivery, but you DON''T want to wait for packets to arrive in order - TCP will make you wait (possibly a very long time) for lost packets to arrive in order, whilst UDP will give you the packets sent after the lost one.

Did you ever play Battlefield 1942 and you don''t receive a single team-talk message for 30 seconds... then suddenly you receive 50 message all at once? They should have used unordered guaranteed udp instead...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement