Just started linux!

Started by
61 comments, last by RapidStunna 20 years, 4 months ago
If anyone here read the newest pixelate mag, there''s an article on gentoo linux. Well, I downloaded it, installed it, and am totally amazed. Back in ''00 i installed a version of linux but found it useless and buggy (so i thought). Gentoo is just amazing though. Internet is done through a windows network sharing internet. Well I''ve still gotta use Windows for application development but makes me wonder why the world doesn''t switch over .. kde is just soo much better. Okay, so this is just more of a praise for linux, and a recommendation for anyone who hasn''t tried linux to try it! for anyone who has used it, any suggestions? ---
Brent Gunning | My Site
Advertisement
> any suggestions?

Erm, well what do you want to do with it?
quote:Original post by RapidStunna
Okay, so this is just more of a praise for linux, and a recommendation for anyone who hasn''t tried linux to try it! for anyone who has used it, any suggestions?

Make games for it.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
for anyone who has used it, any suggestions?

WINE is dead easy to setup with Gentoo. IIRC WINE will run MSVS6 fine (been a while since I tried ) which can save you quite a bit of trouble depending what you are deving on (although YOUR programs may not work in WINE )

Even better than that... If you are deving games you can write things so they compile in both windows and linux. Just use something like SDL/opengl (NOT directx), keep as must OS specific code in it''s own file as possible, and use define''s to determing which code to compile with.

That can be a bit of work to get figured out, but it''s well worth it as you can reuse the code on any project you do.

For general linux tip... Learn! Learn as much as you can. Especially learn the command line and all the spiffy little programs.
There are countless programs I''ve never had to write because a combination of a couple simple command line apps could do the job perfectly.

Shoot Pixels, Not People.
Shoot Pixels Not People
quote:kde is just soo much better.

Why?
quote:Original post by noVum

Why?

KDE is faster on lower end graphics cards. BUT when I hardly noticed a difference when Im using better graphics card w/ 3d acceleration .

I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Uhm, faster on what? I have the feeling that window redrawing etc. are slower/laggier on Linux/X11 than under Windows.
quote:Original post by owl
Okay, so this is just more of a praise for linux, and a recommendation for anyone who hasn''t tried linux to try it! for anyone who has used it, any suggestions?

Make games for it.

Hey owl I''ve been meaning to ask you: Is your modus operandi still devoted entirely to the penguin or have you had to use windows since?
Well, R2D22U2..
Uhm, faster on what? I have the feeling that window redrawing etc. are slower/laggier on Linux/X11 than under Windows.

You''ve been using the wrong window manager for the target platform. Running KDE3 on anything with less than 128MB of RAM is like running Unreal Tournament 2003 on a Voodoo1.
If you have a low-end spec machine, try fluxbox/OpenBox/BlackBox.

- JQ
~phil
quote:Original post by JonnyQuest

You''ve been using the wrong window manager for the target platform. Running KDE3 on anything with less than 128MB of RAM is like running Unreal Tournament 2003 on a Voodoo1.
If you have a low-end spec machine, try fluxbox/OpenBox/BlackBox.

- JQ

..or a bit like trying to run winXP on a low spec machine .. I have seen a lot more problems with that than with KDE3.

On this same note, Enlightenment is also a good pick for the not-so-high-spec machine. Gnome is also quite good when you want that full DE but KDE is too large for your needs.

Of course... for the really cut down window manager you could always try ratpoison.

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement