Jump to content
  • Advertisement


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


need to know what you call this...

This topic is 5825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

what is it called when less triangles are drawn as distance increases from the eye/camera in a terrain engine... im researching some techniques for this so i can implement it into my engine i believe its called lod or clod, but when i read some information about clod, it wasn''t exactley what im talking about... i need to draw less triangles as distance increases for optimizing performance thanks

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
I believe what you are looking for is called level of detail or lod as you said. This is what controls the detail of an object as it gets farther and farther away in the distance.

Warning: This post may contain traces of Q-Basic

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
LOD = Level Of Detail
CLOD = Continuous Level Od Detail

CLOD will reduce the face count depending on the distance. The subdivision is determined by a quadtree. The only bad thing is that it subdivides parts of the terrain that doesn''t need to be, like flat ground.

Here''s some other things you could try:

ROAM might be what you''re after. I heard it''s not very hardware friendly though?


"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!