Total n00b questions

Started by
2 comments, last by DigitalChaos 20 years, 5 months ago
Alright, so i have some extremely n00bish questions, and i figured that the best place would be beginners, since well, i''m a beginner Few questions i got: 1. What does DLL stand for? 2. What is inside a DLL (i have tried opening them but with no success)? 3. What is the general purpose of a DLL? 4. Where can i get all the OpenGL libraries? I doubt these questions could be any more retarded, but if you could answer them, i''d be appreciative.
Advertisement
1. Dynamic link library

2. Executable code and resources (much like a .exe file)

3. A .dll is a library that instead of compiling into the .exe (making a larger .exe and making it so when you update something you have to update the whole thing) it loads the .dll on runtime and uses the .dll

4. The opengl libraries are installed by default if you have visual studio, otherwise, try searching google for more info
Is the OpenGL libraries installed in Microsoft Visuall C++ .NET?

And can the information in DLL files hold information that can be edited? Such as player stats in a game, stuff like that.
quote:Original post by DigitalChaos
Is the OpenGL libraries installed in Microsoft Visuall C++ .NET?

And can the information in DLL files hold information that can be edited? Such as player stats in a game, stuff like that.

As for the first question, yes.

As for the second one, I''m not sure of what you mean. If you are talking about classes that can store player information, then sure. You can have class declarations in the DLLs and then create the classes at runtime in your exe or even in the DLL functions and send the pointer/reference to your exe.

On the other hand, if you are talking about pre-defined values such as the maximum damage for a certain weapon, the armor rating for an armor or standard speed of all units in a game, then that would be better to place in a stand alone file of your own format that you load at runtime and read the values. Easiest would be to create an ASCII text file holding the values and then edit it with notepad. Then when the game starts it reads the values and stores them in internal variables.
Of course, that approach is also the most cheat-prone, but hey. It is flexible.
-----------------------------Final Frontier Trader

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement