Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deleting characters in a FILE*

This topic is 5150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What I want to do is write a small programm that converts a windows text file to a linux one. To do this I need to exchange windows'' end-of-line characters CRLF with linux'' LF. So I thought about loading the textfile in a FILE* and just deleting the CR in front of the LF - but there is no way to delete a character, is there? Overwriting yes, appending yes, but deleting...? Do I really have to open a second file for copying...? Or any other ideas? ------------------------------ There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t.

One approach for doing it without a temporary file:

• Open the file for binary reading

• Calculate the file''s length in characters

• Allocate an array the same size as the length of the file, then read the characters into that array

• Close the file, then re-open if for binary writing
    Iterate through the array, and write only the characters that you want

• Close the file

• Deallocate the array

Thanks for your answer! My problem is that the file I''m parsing is quite large. I''d love to be able to just remove a couple of characters but if that''s not possible I guess it''s more practical to use a temporary file rather than an array...

------------------------------
There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don''t.

AFAIK there is no way to delete arbitrary characters in the middle of a file without rewriting the entire file. However, this type of file conversion where there is a specific substitution involved is where something like Perl comes in real handy. I don''t know it off the top of my head but I know that this type of conversion can be done with a single line perl command.

Evillive2