• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teenage Death Boy

SDL Space Invaders - storing shots

This topic is 5434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I have now successfully completed some basic Pong and Tetris clones. I have now moved onto Space Invaders. I have the sprites sorted (so the enemies animate as they move) but I have a question. How should I represent / store shots, fired by the player. At the moment I have a CGame class, holding an array of CEnemys and other members, with core methods for drawing and updating the game. And I have a CPlayer class. I could have an array of structs in the CGame class. But this would be static and I could either be using all teh array or sometimes none of it. Dynamically allocating memory for each shot? How should I go about this. Is the struct a good idea? store the x/y screen coordinate of the shot and then have a CGame method for looping through each enemy and checking its bounding box? As a side question: after this I guess I''m moving onto Breakout, 2d (eventually scrolling) space ship shooter kinda game, and also a platformer similar to old mario (in a few months). Could I continue to do this with SDL? I''ve learnt a tiny bit of OpenGL (first 6 nehe tutorials) but have been relatively comfortable with SDL, so should I just stick with SDL for the rest of my 2d games. Afterall, its mainly just the logic, and experience of how I would be making games.

Advertisement
quote:
Dynamically allocating memory for each shot? How should I go about this.

Check out the Standard Template Library and specifically the list class. The linked list automatically allocates and deallocates objects that are created/destroyed. Plus using a linked list you get a constant time insertion/deletion.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!