• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asdasd12345

Which is the hardest part of making a game?

This topic is 5470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Taking your time and doing it right.

To me it would be AI.

quote:
Original post by SoulSkorpion
The simple fact that they tend to take ages, learning new and better ways of doing things as you go (and then wanting to go back and rewrite crappy code) and not knowing when to stop adding features.

This is from another Thread...and I agree.

www.Vision-Software.org

[edited by - starboarder on November 6, 2003 12:38:04 PM]

I''d say starting a new game project is the hardest, then writing the actual game is even harder, but the hardest part of all is finishing it...

When a game is 90% done, you only have the other 90% left to do.

The more I think, the more confused I get.

It''s all hard.

I''ve never completed a game. I''ve started enough. One thing I found is that if you stop for any length of time it''s awful hard to get started again.

Yeah, I agree, finishing a game is te hardest part.

What I tend to do is what I want when I want. If I get bored of what i''m currently doing, I stop doing it.

Yes I agree, I was learning C++ but it got boring around about the point where virtual functions come in. So now Im trying to learn Windows programming which is around about as boring and I dont have a book.

quote:
Original post by asdasd12345
Yes I agree, I was learning C++ but it got boring around about the point where virtual functions come in. So now Im trying to learn Windows programming which is around about as boring and I dont have a book.

I think you are confusing the words "hard" and "boring". To me it sounds like you shouldn''t even go near a compiler because you think everything is boring =]

Maybe try one of the few game creation software packages available for cut & paste game development =]

So let us see :

few people have really finished a game
finishing a game is the hardest part
AI is very hard
windows programming is boring , C++ also may be boring
do not confuse "boring" and "hard"( I would say that the hardest part is often the most interesting part in game programming )

After about 4 years game programming using C++ and Direct x \ Opengl, I came to the conclusion that the best solution is to use sofware package (I had alwayes hated them )
In this period I am testing 3D GAME STUDIO, BlitzBasic, DarkBasic
I think that focusing , for example , on a .dll AI routine is more interesting than wasting time in a lot of bloody details.
Game programming has become an industry.
The time of selfsufficient "all in one " pioneers is over, in my opinion.

Hardest: Finishing...

Easyest: Beginning one, I have in upwards of 30 game projects in folders unfinished, most with nothing more than a main function in them.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!