Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is the hardest part of making a game?

This topic is 5132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Taking your time and doing it right.

To me it would be AI.

quote:
Original post by SoulSkorpion
The simple fact that they tend to take ages, learning new and better ways of doing things as you go (and then wanting to go back and rewrite crappy code) and not knowing when to stop adding features.

This is from another Thread...and I agree.

www.Vision-Software.org

[edited by - starboarder on November 6, 2003 12:38:04 PM]

I''d say starting a new game project is the hardest, then writing the actual game is even harder, but the hardest part of all is finishing it...

When a game is 90% done, you only have the other 90% left to do.

The more I think, the more confused I get.

It''s all hard.

I''ve never completed a game. I''ve started enough. One thing I found is that if you stop for any length of time it''s awful hard to get started again.

Yeah, I agree, finishing a game is te hardest part.

What I tend to do is what I want when I want. If I get bored of what i''m currently doing, I stop doing it.

Yes I agree, I was learning C++ but it got boring around about the point where virtual functions come in. So now Im trying to learn Windows programming which is around about as boring and I dont have a book.

quote:
Original post by asdasd12345
Yes I agree, I was learning C++ but it got boring around about the point where virtual functions come in. So now Im trying to learn Windows programming which is around about as boring and I dont have a book.

I think you are confusing the words "hard" and "boring". To me it sounds like you shouldn''t even go near a compiler because you think everything is boring =]

Maybe try one of the few game creation software packages available for cut & paste game development =]

So let us see :

few people have really finished a game
finishing a game is the hardest part
AI is very hard
windows programming is boring , C++ also may be boring
do not confuse "boring" and "hard"( I would say that the hardest part is often the most interesting part in game programming )

After about 4 years game programming using C++ and Direct x \ Opengl, I came to the conclusion that the best solution is to use sofware package (I had alwayes hated them )
In this period I am testing 3D GAME STUDIO, BlitzBasic, DarkBasic
I think that focusing , for example , on a .dll AI routine is more interesting than wasting time in a lot of bloody details.
Game programming has become an industry.
The time of selfsufficient "all in one " pioneers is over, in my opinion.

quote:

Which is the hardest part of making a game?

For the game industry in general, I would say the hardest part is making a profit on the game, i.e. making a good monetary return on all the effort and money that has been invested into a game.

Obviously there are some exceptions, but I''m describing my humble opinion of the norm.

quote:

I have in upwards of 30 game projects in folders unfinished, most with nothing more than a main function in them.

rofl!

monkey_32606''s game #26:

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
for (int i = 0; i< manimsoboooooredddd.....

// note to self: finish game

*starts a new game...*

Yes I never equated boring with hard - that was Imperil''s constructive addition. Who knows why he decided to chime in. And saying two things are boring hardly implies "everything". Maybe the book I am learning C++ from is just presenting virtual functions in an uninteresting manner.

Hardest is staying focused and interested throughout and finishing the game, I agree.

I''m 2 for 2 so far. Began again this year learning Win32.

Finished Breakout over a weekend, Vazteroids (asteroids clone) in a month, now doing VazPac (pacman) clone and its been a couple months. Turning out its harder than asteroids.

But I''m gonna finish that one too for a 1.000 batting average. When my games get harder and harder, I might strike out....

VazGames.com

Phil P

quote:
Original post by asdasd12345
got boring around about the point where virtual functions come in

One of my favorate things about c++, and definitly not a boring topic.

www.Vision-Software.org

Guest Anonymous Poster
i say in game industry, the hardest part is getting the funding, games maybe completed, but after it lost its funding, it wont get released, and thats something sad to see.

i say in game industry, the hardest part is getting the funding, games maybe completed, but after it lost its funding, it wont get released, and thats something sad to see.

The hardest part of a personal project is self-control. Trying not to add interesting stuff you thought up on the fly, or dropping your current project to work on a new idea you''ve just had, for instance.

I still have quite a number of old projects laying in wait somewhere in my programming folder... ;.;

quote:
Original post by PhilVaz
Finished Breakout over a weekend, Vazteroids (asteroids clone) in a month, now doing VazPac (pacman) clone and its been a couple months. Turning out its harder than asteroids.

But I''m gonna finish that one too for a 1.000 batting average. When my games get harder and harder, I might strike out....

VazGames.com

Phil P

Breakout in a weekend? That''s good going! Just checked your site, it''s pretty cool. Did you learn most of your stuff from LaMothe''s "Tricks" book? I have a pretty good C background (normal apps) but I am struggling to make the transition to games programmer. It''s all so different. For instance, I am doing the standard Tetris clone and I am finding it hard going. I haven''t bought any game programming books (I use the Rector/Newcomer Win32 book). Maybe I should get the Tricks book to get a handle on what I should be doing.

It''s taken me about 2 weeks (evenings) just to get a block moving down the screen (never mind key control or collision detection). Mind you, I started with zero knowledge of Win32 so maybe that''s not too bad.

Game programming is bloody hard. I have utmost respect for anyone who can finish a working game!

Capt Logic

Graphics!!

Graphics are the hardest part. Then you have sound effects, compose your own damn music, write some damn story, then make these damn characters who talk to each other or just scream when they die. Then you have to design levels and map out areas. Then find some desperate company to publish it for you.

I just wanted to mention these because we are programmers, and we damn sure have to do them if we do this on our own.

Don't feel bad, monkey_32606. I have my share of main functions.

[edited by - Jiia on November 6, 2003 8:19:41 PM]

For larger games, i would say how you organise your code. So many times have i written code and had to rewrite it because some other function/class required the data but could not access it because i did not plan my classes well.

<< It''s taken me about 2 weeks (evenings) just to get a block moving down the screen (never mind key control or collision detection). Mind you, I started with zero knowledge of Win32 so maybe that''s not too bad. >>

Well, my Breakout took a couple days, but that was after 2 or 3 months learning Win32, the basic game loop, and how to draw pixels, rects, and ellipse in GDI....couple of weeks for Tetris is about right, not counting learning Win32.

<< Game programming is bloody hard. I have utmost respect for anyone who can finish a working game! >>

Yeah, its hard if you are just starting out.... Tetris was a little after my time, but Breakout was an easy game I always enjoyed so I started with that....

I''ve been programming for over 20 years, but just learned Win32 this year. I''ve always finished games, even my first ones in Basic for the old Apple II. My goal (and your goal) should always be the finished game.....you learn the most that way.

VazGames.com

Phil P

For me, the most hard part is choosing which type of game to make. Kindof like the VERY early design...
1: Choose a really simple game, say missile command, then rush to get it finished, just to get it done, because I am now bored with the whole idea.
http://www.davesprogramming.com/section_games/MissileCommand.exe

Or...

2: Choosing to make a game that's too complex for me and getting about 15-25% through it, realizing that I've bitten off more than I can chew (Realtime, empire space management, for example)

http://www.davesprogramming.com/section_codebin/StarSupremacy.zip

(Just thought I'd add the links in so you can see how bad my stuff is... IE "Got bored" or "Too complex"

[edited by - TerraX on November 28, 2003 4:59:23 AM]

The hardest part for me is making the design and technical documents. But definately the most boring part is debugging (you know, those really annoying bugs that take you 2 days to figure out it was just that you didn''t initialise your image class before you passed it to a constructor *shifty eyes*).

quote:
Original post by GamerSg
For larger games, i would say how you organise your code. So many times have i written code and had to rewrite it because some other function/class required the data but could not access it because i did not plan my classes well.

Definitely code organization. Rewriting and refactoring your code is the most difficult and time consuming activity in any programming project, regardless if it''s game programming, or not.