Which is the hardest part of making a game?

Started by
34 comments, last by Leffe 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by GBGames
Has anyone had the experience of going to someone to ask about your code, explaining to the person what your problem is so well that you discover a solution before the other person has a chance to respond? Happens to me all the time. B-)

Just a hint. I acturally stole it from a old friend of mine. Go buy a small creature(doen''t matter what it is, personally I have a little stuffed monkey) and use that to talk to. When you confront a problem explain to the monkey what your trying to do and what your problems are. That little buddy has helped my out on so many projects its not evern funny.
Advertisement
Hardest part: Avoiding spaghetti code.
Easiest part: Pressing the build button.
quote:Original post by vrek
Just a hint. I acturally stole it from a old friend of mine. Go buy a small creature(doen''t matter what it is, personally I have a little stuffed monkey) and use that to talk to. When you confront a problem explain to the monkey what your trying to do and what your problems are. That little buddy has helped my out on so many projects its not evern funny.

I wish I had a stuffed monkey...
quote:Original post by BlabberBoy
quote:Original post by vrek

I wish I had a stuffed monkey...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5bb0/
Your own monkey for only $6.99 !!! :-)
IMO staying dedicated to the project is probably harder than learning any specific technical knowledge. I used to start projects and not finish them, I have about 40+ projects like that. However my current project, MindEngine, I've been working on for about a year (off and on) and I'm amazed at how dedicated I still am to it. This makes me feel like I've found my calling. A person once said to me, "If you work on your project at least just once a day, even if it's only a little bit, you'll eventually finish it." Let me tell you, that is some good advice. Although sometimes I won't get the chance to work on it everyday , I do try to work on it every other day at least.

edit: spelling

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on November 28, 2003 4:57:34 PM]
quote:Original post by Mathematix
Easiest part: Pressing the build button.

Indeed true, whenever I have a quick way of building ready my production goes down by 90%. The time is wasted by building after adding every single line.

Therefore I''m trying to only use notepad(or similar, I can''t remember what mine''s called ). I''ll write 1Kb of code or something. Then I compile and fix 15 errors or so.

Anyway, continuing working/finishing is the hardest.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement