Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best DX 9 Book for beginners?

This topic is 5149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The few DX9 books out there are generally a little more advanced. You''re probably better off starting with tutorials like DrunkenHyna said. If you absolutely must have a book, then consider a good DX8 book. Most of the differences between DX8 and DX9 pertain to the more advanced graphics material, like shaders.

You could read a DX8 book and then implement what you learn in DX9 by supplementing what you learn in the DX8 book with the docs from the SDK, the articles on this site, and/or some tutorial sites on DX9.

On the other hand, if you''re willing to wait, there are probably some beginner DX9 books in the works. You could learn from tutorials until a good beginning DX9 book comes out.

neneboricua

Don''t buy any books about DirectX 9. Most of them just use DX8 and say that it''s the same. They''re half right, the other half is wrong, since the Summer update upgraded alot of the interfaces.

I recommend you to look for books that teach about the Summer update, or just read tutorials on the net.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

I''m currently preparing a book on DirectX9. So far i''m covering mostly just the basic stuff as it''s targeted towards people just getting into graphics programming.
I''m looking for any ideas as to what people will want in a DirectX9 book. I''m going to have about four chapters dealing with just Direct3D and it''s different aspects, one for input, one for sound, one on 2D stuff. Is there something that just absolutely must be talked about?

quote:
Original post by wendy
I''m going to have about four chapters dealing with just Direct3D and it''s different aspects, one for input, one for sound, one on 2D stuff.

So does this mean that you''ll have one chapter on D3D, one on DInput, another on DSound/DMusic, and a fourth on 2D using D3D? If so, you won''t be able to go over much more material than is found in the SDK docs.

One chapter is enough to go over most of DInput (if you leave out action mapping) and the very basics of DMusic, but one chapter is not nearly enough to cover D3D.

Depending on how many pages you can devote to D3D, I would say that you could try to cover these topics (in order of importance):

Rendering using index buffers
Object movement using matrices
Lighting
Rendering .x file models
Texturing
Multi-texturing and alpha blending

Beyond this, the reader could move on to a more detailed book that focuses soley on D3D.

Just my 2 cents worth,
neneboricua

After re-reading what I wrote, it wasn''t entirely clear.
The whole book will be about 12 chapters (300pgs). Four chapters will be devoted to aspects of Direct3D.

So far, I have this planned.
1 chapter on 3D basics. Matrices, rotations etc.
1 chapter on Direct3D vertices, index buffers and object creation. Basically, the creating a 3D object from vertices.
1 chapter on texturing, multitexturing, lighting
1 chapter on meshes. Xfile loading, rendering.

Thanks so much for your input. Since the book has to cover DirectX in general I only have limited space to devote to just Direct3D but I want to make sure that the information provided is actually going to be useful. I don''t want to leave the reader hanging without enough information to actually do anything.

--Wendy