• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solid_snake41

Getting a Labtop

This topic is 5253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, i was wondering if any one of you can help me choose a good labtop to buy, i do a lot of graphics stuff, so i need something powerful, i checked Dell, but it s way expensive for me as a student, how about Sony, are there notebooks any good? i found this one, check this link and let me know: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DHQ23/qid=1068156825/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-pc/104-3457416-4073566?v=glance&s=pc&n=541966 plus here is what i am looking for: 512 RAM 60 GB HDD minimum of 2.5 P4 64 MB Video card i hear HP and Toshiba are not good, is that right? i am really confused, so Please if you can help me, i ll be grateful Thanx

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
make sure you search for a laptop I don''t think they make labtops.

Hi,

In all seriousness, if you do OpenGL stuff (not direct X), I would recommend looking at apple''s range of laptops.

Students get a 15% discount and a free upgrade to the 3 year warranty, performance is good, and the batterey life is excellent.

cheers,
-theoddbot

what is with people calling laptops "labtops"?

well, the OP is from morocco, so i guess i can''t blame him (might be a different-language thing, and he''s already doing better than if i was trying to type in whatever language they speak there)...

but there are many many people in the US who call them "labtops". isn''t it obvious that they are called LAPtops since you can put them on your LAP and play games?

argh.

don''t mind me, i''m just pissed that i spent $9 to see the pile of crap matrix:revolution.

quote:
Original post by Fidelio66
You cannot use modern laptops on your lap anymore, they would burn your thighs :-)

I can relate.

If you have a localised eBay or similar auction site, then you might find they have some good laptop/notbook bargains there. I recently bought a laptop from the UK eBay site for £500 - Pentium 4 2.0Ghz, 30Gig hdd, DVD/CD-R combo, 14.1" tft screen, 512Mb DDR RAM...not bad at all.

Anthony

---
http://www.micromadhouse.com

quote:
Original post by Fidelio66
You cannot use modern laptops on your lap anymore, they would burn your thighs :-)

really? i haven''t played with one for years

but the etymology still stands!

hi im a student and me and all my flat mates have recently been buying laptops (labtop what every you want)

my selfe i got a hp pavilion withe the athlon xp-m chip in and u yould run it on ur lap as it runs very cool. it has a built in radion covers everything needed and copes withe the graphics
but if u want to rely get a good laptop u want to get one withe atleast a radion 9000 in. on of my flat mates has a p4 machine with a radion 9000 in and it is very good on the 3d marks and copes withe everything thrown at it. the only problem withe it is that you could cook your tea on it. the p4 runs exceptionaly hot.
we are also wating for another lap top to arive should be haere within the next few days. withea radion 9600 in runing on a athlon xp-m processor. if it runs as good at the 9000 then i would go withe that.
wouldent recomend a sony unless it is one of the stupidly expensive ones

1) Yes, whomever asked, Sony does make laptops.

2) Laptops are simply various manufacturers'' parts, assembled together in a case. The company you buy it from (Dell, Compaq, etc.) just gives you drivers, tech support, keyboard, mouse, case, etc. So it''s just a matter of stability and the look/feel of the laptop... that is why going to CompUSA or another computer store and actually typing on the laptops is a very good idea, so you''re not buying blind... you can see what they''re like.

My Dell has a nice crisp keyboard... it''s not the best keyboard I''ve used, but it''s not bad. It also has the little rubber mouse-pointer that I think first appeared on IBMs... it''s my preferred non-mouse pointing device.

3) So, really, you just need any laptop with a Pentium M processor (haven''t used a laptop with one yet, but it''s supposed to give very good battery life), a shader-capable video card, and... well, the other necessities are standard on new laptops (DVD,hard drive space, etc.) so whatever.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!