Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting a Labtop

This topic is 4966 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys, i was wondering if any one of you can help me choose a good labtop to buy, i do a lot of graphics stuff, so i need something powerful, i checked Dell, but it s way expensive for me as a student, how about Sony, are there notebooks any good? i found this one, check this link and let me know: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DHQ23/qid=1068156825/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-pc/104-3457416-4073566?v=glance&s=pc&n=541966 plus here is what i am looking for: 512 RAM 60 GB HDD minimum of 2.5 P4 64 MB Video card i hear HP and Toshiba are not good, is that right? i am really confused, so Please if you can help me, i ll be grateful Thanx

Guest Anonymous Poster
make sure you search for a laptop I don''t think they make labtops.

Hi,

In all seriousness, if you do OpenGL stuff (not direct X), I would recommend looking at apple''s range of laptops.

Students get a 15% discount and a free upgrade to the 3 year warranty, performance is good, and the batterey life is excellent.

cheers,
-theoddbot

what is with people calling laptops "labtops"?

well, the OP is from morocco, so i guess i can''t blame him (might be a different-language thing, and he''s already doing better than if i was trying to type in whatever language they speak there)...

but there are many many people in the US who call them "labtops". isn''t it obvious that they are called LAPtops since you can put them on your LAP and play games?

argh.

don''t mind me, i''m just pissed that i spent $9 to see the pile of crap matrix:revolution.

quote:
Original post by Fidelio66
You cannot use modern laptops on your lap anymore, they would burn your thighs :-)

I can relate.

If you have a localised eBay or similar auction site, then you might find they have some good laptop/notbook bargains there. I recently bought a laptop from the UK eBay site for £500 - Pentium 4 2.0Ghz, 30Gig hdd, DVD/CD-R combo, 14.1" tft screen, 512Mb DDR RAM...not bad at all.

Anthony

---
http://www.micromadhouse.com

quote:
Original post by Fidelio66
You cannot use modern laptops on your lap anymore, they would burn your thighs :-)

really? i haven''t played with one for years

but the etymology still stands!

hi im a student and me and all my flat mates have recently been buying laptops (labtop what every you want)

my selfe i got a hp pavilion withe the athlon xp-m chip in and u yould run it on ur lap as it runs very cool. it has a built in radion covers everything needed and copes withe the graphics
but if u want to rely get a good laptop u want to get one withe atleast a radion 9000 in. on of my flat mates has a p4 machine with a radion 9000 in and it is very good on the 3d marks and copes withe everything thrown at it. the only problem withe it is that you could cook your tea on it. the p4 runs exceptionaly hot.
we are also wating for another lap top to arive should be haere within the next few days. withea radion 9600 in runing on a athlon xp-m processor. if it runs as good at the 9000 then i would go withe that.
wouldent recomend a sony unless it is one of the stupidly expensive ones

1) Yes, whomever asked, Sony does make laptops.

2) Laptops are simply various manufacturers'' parts, assembled together in a case. The company you buy it from (Dell, Compaq, etc.) just gives you drivers, tech support, keyboard, mouse, case, etc. So it''s just a matter of stability and the look/feel of the laptop... that is why going to CompUSA or another computer store and actually typing on the laptops is a very good idea, so you''re not buying blind... you can see what they''re like.

My Dell has a nice crisp keyboard... it''s not the best keyboard I''ve used, but it''s not bad. It also has the little rubber mouse-pointer that I think first appeared on IBMs... it''s my preferred non-mouse pointing device.

3) So, really, you just need any laptop with a Pentium M processor (haven''t used a laptop with one yet, but it''s supposed to give very good battery life), a shader-capable video card, and... well, the other necessities are standard on new laptops (DVD,hard drive space, etc.) so whatever.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

quote:
Original post by maddnig
we are also wating for another lap top to arive should be haere within the next few days. withea radion 9600 in runing on a athlon xp-m processor. if it runs as good at the 9000 then i would go withe that.

Out of intrest where is that one coming from? I''ve had a look for laptops running a 9600 but cant seem to find one in the UK.. :|

Would somebody tell me... What is the all time BEST laptop for programming... and the all-time worst. (and if I mispelt anything... Forget about it!) .... thanx

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by CGameProgrammer
3) So, really, you just need any laptop with a Pentium M processor (haven''t used a laptop with one yet, but it''s supposed to give very good battery life)

I''m using a Dell D600 (Pentium-M), its true the Pentium-M''s give a better battery life, however Dell have taken advantage of this to reduce the battery size, leaving me....where I''d have been with any other laptop (although perhaps a bit lighter). Most manufacturers quote about 6hrs battery life for 14 inch screens and 8 cell batteries; with 6 cells + 14", I get about 4 hours off the leash.

quote:

The 40GB Hitachi HDD on the Dell D600''s gets pretty hot under your palms, don''t know if they''ve replaced the part since though, other than a little evident warmth on the bottom of the machine its not too bad, even on your lap.

Whilst you''re choosing its extremely important to decide why you''re buying a laptop - what is it going to do for you? - for example the principle factor behind my choice was that my machine is small & light (ie portable), whilst still being confortable to work on all day & offering a reasonable battery life (+ an extremely good price). Nice, but not necessary features were the dvd burner & the ATI Radeon 9000 graphics.

Other than that, what can I say ? Make sure you read all the reviews on machines your interested in & the other thing to think about; laptops are rather less easy to service the hardware yourself than desktops, so its worth looking into the service contracts - they''re expensive, but it''ll be worse if something hardware related goes wrong & you don''t have some kind of agreement.

quote:
Original post by Sethro2k6
Would somebody tell me... What is the all time BEST laptop for programming... and the all-time worst. (and if I mispelt anything... Forget about it!) .... thanx

Eh, programming? Anyone, anything...They are all capable of programming of course (at least Assembler), but it''s the type of your programs that counts. If you''re just planning to make "normal", not very demanding programs like Notepad or Paint and so on, then you don''t need a P4 machine, but if make games or other demanding applications, like 3ds max, then you need a high-end computer to run it of course...

Right off the bat, if you''re going to do anything that''s going to require a lot of processing power, DO NOT USE A NOTEBOOK. They''re not meant to design aircraft, render movie-quality 3D models, or calculate rocket trajectories. If you want anything remotely close to that, get a desktop. Notebooks ARE meant to allow you to take your applications, movies, mid-range games (and most of the newer ones, but not as well as a desktop) wherever you might be without the need for cables. You''re not buying a super-computer, you''re buying mobility.

With that out of the way, decide what you will use the computer for most of the time. If you''re looking for the longest battery life, look for an Intel Centrino. They give 4-5 hours of battery life at the cost of processing power. On the flip-side, if you''re still looking for the most power, looking for ones that have desktop processors. They''re going to eat battery life, be louder, and run hotter, but you''ll get that extra bit of power.

As for HP not being good, it''s really a matter of what you''re expecting of the notebook. From personal experience (and mind you, I might be biased), HP offers a pretty good computer at a pretty good price. You''ll get what you pay for.

For the Intel Centrino (read: battery life), go with the HP ZT3000''s (or Compaq X1000''s, same difference). Great battery life, almost no running sound (you''ll have to put your ear to it to hear it run), and pretty much trouble free. For a desktop processor, HP ZD7000. Extra large screen, desktop processor, nVidia graphics (440go, 5200go, or 5600go), and memory up to 2GB.

For a good cross between the two, look at the ZV/ZX5000''s.

By the way, most notebook brands don''t actually produce the computers themselves. A lot of brands use the same manufactuers.

And to those wondering: no, I don''t do sales for HP.

-Overflowed

Well for 1400 aus you could get one with 512 mem, good vid card, 2.4 or so,

i got mine for bout 1400 , its a toshiba, but its a celeron but i dont care, but i got a wireless network card, or i was suppose to get one and they didnt give me it!, side note, do the network cards come built in or do they plug from a slot? as if they are built in they owe me a new laptop, yeaa!)

apart from that, normal computers suck compared to laptops, im never buying a normal one again...oh yeah ive never bought a computer before, let alone my laptop, but anyway

edit:
oh and i hear dell the screens fall off, and toshibas are actually quite good

[edited by - johnnyBravo on May 8, 2004 9:50:52 AM]

I''ve currently got a Tosh Tecra, Centrino, Pentium M1.4, 512 (came with half), 30gb, DVD/CDR, top draw 14 screen, Geforce 5200 mobile. Excellent Long life Laptop provided you reformat and reinstall winXP as soon as you get it. Number of processes running drops from 60 odd to 30 so. Only complaint is the graphics card is a little slow for games playing (not a problem for me as works machine). (batt life about 4 hours normally)

I previously had a Tosh Sat 6100 Pro. P4 1.7, 256, 20gb, DVD, and ATI Mob 9600. Very good desktop replacment/alternatative with excellent graphics, although battery life is around 2 hours at best. However this model has a known fault with the motherboard which means replacement if you are lucky enough to have it go wrong within warranty (not all do, it seems random chance).

A better (cheaper) alterative to Tosh/Sony is Dell or Ergo. We bought 5000 Ergo Laptops to distribute to schools within the last couple of years and none have had manufacturers faults. Apparently the middle of the range models are the best value provided you can stick a plastic case. (the top models have titanium alloy)

I''d probably go for Ergo but if money is no object then Sony are top.

Jay

Guest Anonymous Poster

quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
oh and i hear dell the screens fall off

Never heard that one or ever had trouble with Dell machines; generally Dell are noted for their quality; OTOH I know that my father''s office had keyboard and HDD failures on all of the nearly 100 Compaq corporate notebooks (N610s IIRC) that they used, the machines are the same as the corporate HP ones (I don''t know if their home user type models diverge). I considered buying a compaq machine for my last purchase, until I heard about my fathers office & came across a fairly large volume of compaints about the machines on the internet. Bottom line - do your research.

That said, Dell did supply me with a DVD+R burner that after a little research and some use I did discover had a slight flaw; it couldn''t burn DVDs (as in apparently a weekness with the model, rather than my specific unit); but they were very good about it and replaced it within 24 hours, on site, with a unit that did operate correctly (Just begging the question, how on earth did the designer of the unit (phillips) release a burner that didn''t burn?).

quote:
i got mine for bout 1400 , its a toshiba, but its a celeron but i dont care, but i got a wireless network card, or i was suppose to get one and they didnt give me it!, side note, do the network cards come built in or do they plug from a slot? as if they are built in they owe me a new laptop, yeaa!)

Don''t get your hopes up; you probably forgot to specify it & I doubt that Celeron machines come with built in wireless as standard.

For best laptops...

Sager and Alienware are both very high-end laptops. Before you go buy them, they are desktop replacements, which means they are expensive and dam fast. Alienware generally has had problems with tech support, so I would personally go with Sager.

The highest end laptop you can buy currently is the GO-L laptops, which are the fastest, best graphics, top-of-the-line everything. But they are unbelivable expensive.

Go Sager! Good bang for your buck! And order from PC Torque because they are helpful, have good tech support, have fast shipping, and are all round great!

I dont know about the worst...

Edit: Fixing links.

[edited by - GuyWithManyProblems on May 8, 2004 4:16:20 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

This Is true but scarce. I have a friend who HAD a Dell but the screen fell off. It is partly because he always shut it hard/opened it fast; but they should make it for use like that!

So in the interest of keeping this conversation rolling. What laptop/labtop has the highest Cool Factor. Just something about it that makes it all that much more worth buying and maybe even makes a couple heads turn and say that word every programmer wants to make people say... "Sweet!"

quote:

This Is true but scarce. I have a friend who HAD a Dell but the screen fell off. It is partly because he always shut it hard/opened it fast; but they should make it for use like that!

So in the interest of keeping this conversation rolling. What laptop/labtop has the highest Cool Factor. Just something about it that makes it all that much more worth buying and maybe even makes a couple heads turn and say that word every programmer wants to make people say... "Sweet!"

Define "graphics stuff." 2D? 3D? Like Photoshop/Maya type stuff? OpenGL?

Either way, go with the PowerBook. The 128-bit vector unit on the G4 is freaking awesome.

Other reasons:
1) MacOS X comes with free developer tools. GOOD developer tools, at that. (developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html)
2) The PowerBooks weigh less (about a pound)
3) The 128-bit vector unit (AltiVec) is freaking sweet. I have tested my 1Ghz P4 with a few apps and it can be up to 3x as faster than my 1Ghz T-bird (using hand-tuned optimized asm code for both machines)
4) More standard features like S-video out, firewire, 802.11g (AirPort Extreme)
5) MacOS X works really well in Windows/Unix networked environments. I use stuff like X11, SMB, and NFS regularly

Oh and don't get cheap laptops since you have limited options for upgrades. Get expensive laptops refurbished for cheap.

x86-based laptops in general tend to devalue really fast, if you want to go that route.

[edited by - igni ferroque on May 9, 2004 1:10:24 AM]

I agree that PowerBooks have their advantages, and are great if you are just doing graphics and no gaming. When it comes to gaming... well... very few games are compatable with Macintosh because the company needs a licence to make the game for Macintosh, while Microsoft-based computers have almost all games designed for them.

As for coolest looking notebooks... once again the Alienware Area51 notebook is pretty snazzy. As well, the Acer Ferrari is a pretty sweet looking notebook supported by Ferrari and so it has the colors etc...
How ''cool'' a notebook looks is very subjective... and high-end notebooks will most often not look as good because they are bigger because they are so jammed full of goodies. But Alienware A51 does look pretty nice... check out those alien eyes!

My 2cents

You need to ask yourself how portable you want it to be and how much batter life you would like. If it is going to be strapped to a desk, most desknotes will work fine.

One of the best, little known, deals right now is the eMachines m680X series. Yeah I know, eMachines yuck you say, but they don''t make there own laptops. The ODM Arima does.

You can get a m6809, with 512MB of ram (PC2700), Athlon64 3200+ mobile processor (yes Athlon64!), Wireless G, 15.4" widescreen, 64mb Radeon9600 (Oc''s to Pro Turbo levels), 80gb HD and DVD burner for about 1399$ US if you watch the rebates ($1549 normally). The 6805, which I have (A64 3000+/60GB/CD-RW) is as low as 1250$ after rebates if you can find it.

These are basically VoodooPC m860''s without the fancy paint, a slightly different screen (1680x1250 vs 1280x800) and about 2000$ more in your wallet .

quote:

Go Sager! Good bang for your buck! And order from PC Torque because they are helpful, have good tech support, have fast shipping, and are all round great!

Sager are also a very very good choice.