Getting a Labtop

Started by
22 comments, last by solid_snake41 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
oh and i hear dell the screens fall off

This Is true but scarce. I have a friend who HAD a Dell but the screen fell off. It is partly because he always shut it hard/opened it fast; but they should make it for use like that!

So in the interest of keeping this conversation rolling. What laptop/labtop has the highest Cool Factor. Just something about it that makes it all that much more worth buying and maybe even makes a couple heads turn and say that word every programmer wants to make people say... "Sweet!"
Advertisement
Define "graphics stuff." 2D? 3D? Like Photoshop/Maya type stuff? OpenGL?

Either way, go with the PowerBook. The 128-bit vector unit on the G4 is freaking awesome.

Other reasons:
1) MacOS X comes with free developer tools. GOOD developer tools, at that. (developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html)
2) The PowerBooks weigh less (about a pound)
3) The 128-bit vector unit (AltiVec) is freaking sweet. I have tested my 1Ghz P4 with a few apps and it can be up to 3x as faster than my 1Ghz T-bird (using hand-tuned optimized asm code for both machines)
4) More standard features like S-video out, firewire, 802.11g (AirPort Extreme)
5) MacOS X works really well in Windows/Unix networked environments. I use stuff like X11, SMB, and NFS regularly

Oh and don't get cheap laptops since you have limited options for upgrades. Get expensive laptops refurbished for cheap.

x86-based laptops in general tend to devalue really fast, if you want to go that route.

[edited by - igni ferroque on May 9, 2004 1:10:24 AM]
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I agree that PowerBooks have their advantages, and are great if you are just doing graphics and no gaming. When it comes to gaming... well... very few games are compatable with Macintosh because the company needs a licence to make the game for Macintosh, while Microsoft-based computers have almost all games designed for them.

As for coolest looking notebooks... once again the Alienware Area51 notebook is pretty snazzy. As well, the Acer Ferrari is a pretty sweet looking notebook supported by Ferrari and so it has the colors etc...
How ''cool'' a notebook looks is very subjective... and high-end notebooks will most often not look as good because they are bigger because they are so jammed full of goodies. But Alienware A51 does look pretty nice... check out those alien eyes!
My 2cents

You need to ask yourself how portable you want it to be and how much batter life you would like. If it is going to be strapped to a desk, most desknotes will work fine.

One of the best, little known, deals right now is the eMachines m680X series. Yeah I know, eMachines yuck you say, but they don''t make there own laptops. The ODM Arima does.

You can get a m6809, with 512MB of ram (PC2700), Athlon64 3200+ mobile processor (yes Athlon64!), Wireless G, 15.4" widescreen, 64mb Radeon9600 (Oc''s to Pro Turbo levels), 80gb HD and DVD burner for about 1399$ US if you watch the rebates ($1549 normally). The 6805, which I have (A64 3000+/60GB/CD-RW) is as low as 1250$ after rebates if you can find it.

These are basically VoodooPC m860''s without the fancy paint, a slightly different screen (1680x1250 vs 1280x800) and about 2000$ more in your wallet .

quote:
Go Sager! Good bang for your buck! And order from PC Torque because they are helpful, have good tech support, have fast shipping, and are all round great!

Sager are also a very very good choice.
Cheers,~Entz-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-http:www.leviathan3d.com (under construction)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement