Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get linux to see windows partition on the same drive

This topic is 5155 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to get to some of my windows files on linux, but don''t know how too. Running fedora 1 if that matters...I did it with Mandrake, but I can''t find anyway to do it on RH. Thanks

You gotta take your Windows drive, and MOUNT IT! That''s right, mount that wack-ass partition alllll night long. Don''t matter how FAT it is, if you want your files, get with the mounting!

*cough*

I''m not familiar with Fedora, but there should be some sort of mount configuration thing which''ll allow you to mount your windows partition. Chances are, that partition will be called /dev/hda1, at least if you had installed windows before linux.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I found one but it doesn''t show the dumb windows partition...Just everything on linux. It even lets me mount stuff...It''s almost as if windows doesn''t like me anymore :-P because it is causing a whole LOT more problems than this, and linux just seems to fix them. Too bad linux can''t play all those games, or I would just highlight the little helpless windows partitioin and push the DELETE key and "puff" its gone! That would be awesome.

Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar. Typing mount /dev/discs/disc0 often works, or if not mount /dev/discs/disc0 -t vfat

or mount /dev/discs/disc0 -t ntfs, if you have an ntfs partition.

If you want it mounted at bootup, and an entry to fstab (check the man page for fstab for the format)

quote:
Original post by Flarelocke
Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar.

Dude, that''s SO my new sig.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
quote:
Original post by Flarelocke
Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar.

Dude, that''s SO my new sig.

haha.

Well I think it mounted but now I cant find it anywhere...I typed this under root:

mount -t /dev/hdc1

And then it came back with nothing but this:
root# (blinking curser)

So i think it did it, no errors or anything but I can''t find it now...

If you type "mount" without any arguments, it''ll tell you where in your filesystem each drive is mounted.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

(as root)

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount /dev/[insert device name here] /mnt/windows

AFAIK, you don''t usually need the -t filesystem argument; in my experience, it normally figures out the right filesystem to use.

To mount it at boot, add the following line to fstab:

/dev/[device name] /mnt/windows [fs] ro 0 0

[fs] will be vfat if it''s Windows 9x, or ntfs for Windows NT/2000/XP. If it''s an NTFS partition, then once mounted, it''ll probably only be accessible to root, so you may want to replace ro with ro,uid=[username] to let your regular user access it.

Because Fedora is based on Redhat, you might encounter a known limitation of filesystem mounting. In which case, you will want to go here, download and install the package. This one makes NTFS mounting a breeze.

Good luck!

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.cjb.net

[edited by - MatrixCubed on November 7, 2003 7:18:50 AM]