classes reliableness

Started by
15 comments, last by Fish HF 20 years, 5 months ago
Make sure you haven''t declared a variable with an equal name in the functions itself. I made this mistake a while ago, and it took me quite a while before I found it.
Also, if you the chance then check the value of the this-pointer.
STOP THE PLANET!! I WANT TO GET OFF!!
Advertisement
There are bugs in Visual C++ 6 even with sp5 (start here), however the chances of it being a bug in the compiler are about the same as aliens coming from Mars to wipe us all out.

If by some mad chance you have found a bug in the compiler, narrow it down to as small a code fragment as possible and submit it to Microsoft.
Your right, it sometimes happen, but now it disappeared...
Isn't vs6 isn't supported anymore? I thought they won't make patches anymore...

[edited by - Fish HF on November 7, 2003 11:07:34 PM]
quote:Original post by Fish HF
Your right, it sometimes happen, but now it disappeared...
Isn''t vs6 isn''t supported anymore? I thought they won''t make patches anymore...

I strongly doubt we''ll see any more patches for VC6.
I agree with smart_idiot. You probably have a buffer overrun somewhere.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Fish, could you post a code snippet with the problem? I once had a problem with a struct that used a constructor which wasn''t called for some unknown reason. The moment I changed struct to a class the problem went away. The other problem I had which was entirely my fault was that I used a ''min'' as a name for a function parameter. Took me a while to figure that one out. Those win os macros bite. On unrelated note, I don''t think you should abandon c++ OOP because of your problem. Like some poster said, do a full rebuild of your project and post some code snippets giving you the trouble so we can figure the problem out.
The problem is disappeared now, I think it''s the vector that may be causing the problem.
thanks
Make sure the vector doesn''t have a virtual table pointer in it. It adds 4 extra bytes to the vector which can screw up the vertex stride for the gfx api. Just throwing some ideas around.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement