Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should the architecture look like?

This topic is 5153 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m a beginner..that''s why I use this forum. I scouted the articles on this site, but nothing conclusive. So plz point me to a good article, or e-book, so I can read how to do it. Here comes my boggle(problem): I am going to write a simple game. I am going to use DirectX 9, VS.NET 2003 and C#, or C++. I have not decided yet, for I have extensive experience in C++, but no commitment to the language. I do enjoy overloading operators, virtual and abstract, but I am going to find out how this is in C#. I am going to make a sokoban clone! My question is this. In my message pump I call doFrame, which will draw the screen. What kind of design would you suggest for the rendering. I think I will do the following: - Make a virtual Drawable class, or interface, so that each derived class has a render function. - Put them all in a list, and call every relevant renderfunctino-object, so that it is rendered. Are there better architectures? What kind of list, or collection should I use? Should I make different lists, for different types of objects? The next "problem" I have, is I do not know how I will store my data! We are talking content management here! Where should I put strings, and help texts, put them all in a file? what kind of file? How should I serialize a level. Make a database? Make a new file for each level? Use XML? Stay away from databases? Hope you will point me to some usefull information, Vincent

One suggestion would be to organize the object list as a hierarchy. Each level of the hierarchy would have its own transformation matrix. Then, you could have groups of objects that could be moved/rotated/etc without having to change the vertices of all the objects in the group. Also, making these groups visible/invisible is easy.

This works well for UI components, like dialogs, that lend themselves well to a hierarchical organization.

Good luck.