What Do Women Want in a Game?

Started by
43 comments, last by Whirlwind 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by Ivyn
I don''t know if that''s true. First of all there are alot of female fantasy authors out there as well as readers. Lack imagination? I''ve seen so many great artists who are female.
Take for example the online art and story writing community Elfwood which is about 65 percent or more female.

I really just don''t think this is the case. Somebody bash the hell out of me if I''m wrong.

This topic is quite interesting though. The gap between the number of male and female game players seems so staggering and I''ve always wondered why exactly that is so. Women seem to consume most other media about as much as the men.

I sure wish one of those women would write a story for a game. I''ve got a few CPU cycles left to work some on a game...
Advertisement
how about a game where you are in a shopping centre and your task is to find the best sales and nicest shoes ...

and on top of that as the time wears on your boyfriend becomes more difficult to drag around ...

(btw for the americans.. "shopping centre" == "mall" :D)
my better half plays

Monkey Island
The Sims
SimCity/SC4
NFS HPS 2 (you can''t go past a Monaro)
Warcraft

amongst others.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
This topic has actually been discussed multiple times before. The threads are:

RPG games for girls

targeting female audience

designing games for women

chicks and games

The only new thing I have to add is that you might want to look at www.neopets.com , it has lots and lots of female players.

[edited by - sunandshadow on November 22, 2003 10:50:14 PM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Women look for things in this order:
1: money
2: clothes
3: flashy accessories
4: shoes
5: a husband to go to work for them
6: friendship\love\emotional support
7: sex

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement